Military Firearm Restoration Corner

gun value, i need this answered fast

TLynn

claytonfaulkner

(6/18/05 18:59)

Reply gun value, i need this answered fast

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

does anyone know the blue book value on a colt detective 38 snub? this is one for sale here locally for 300

manureman

(6/18/05 19:17)

Reply Re: gun value, i need this answered fast

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My blue book says $175 to $795 for prewar and$120 to $475 for postwar issue. Jim

z1r

(6/18/05 20:08)

If it is in good shape that would be a fair price in my book. Old colt double actions hold their value well.

Prices vary so much by location that I hate to give dollar amounts.

AzRednek

(6/19/05 0:54)

Hope I'm not answering this to late. Be certain it is not Hong Kong police surplus. Many if not all were originally chambered for 38S&W and later the chambers reamed out to accept the 38 Special. Look for RHKP (Royal Hong Kong Police) stamped on it and/or a tight checkerboard overstamp on the barrel right of the 38 followed by the abbreviated word Spec. Most I've seen were well worn, re-blued or spot blued, timing and alignment problems are common. Watch for mis-matched color of the cylinder and frame as well as after-market cheezy grips. I've seen RHKP Colts with and without importer's stamps.

Clarkma

(6/19/05 15:39)

I got 5 of the Colt Police positives from AIM surplus that were welded over the police logo. I paid $80 each for ones without grips, and they all arrived with nice Colt Walnut grips

I bought 5 of them for destructive tests, but I learned to like the Colt D frame better than my Smith and Wessons.

I sporterize them by cutting 1" off the bottom of the frame, putting a Colt Agent gripper grip on them, and reaming out to 357 mag.