Military Firearm Restoration Corner

1939 8Mm Turkish Mauser

Guest Acts 11:7

Just an FYI.

I was on GB the other day and saw another 93 that was done in 1940.

I think that they were fitting a bell on the front of those small rings to accept their

upper hand-guard because they were setting them into the same basic stock as KKales.

Man I thought that those Turks were nutzo for milling a lip into some of their contract

German 98's. I can't understand why they thought all that metal work was a better choice

than making the stock fit the gun rather than making the gun fit the stock.

T :blink:

If you have a lathe, and are careful, you can turn the steps on the barrel down, so that the contour is very similar to that of a Winchester Featherweight barrel. I am in the process of doing that to a military 308 Win barrel as we speak. It looks good. I am still working on one section as it does look quite right yet.

When I first turned it down, I turned the steps, and when I got it done, it didn't look right. I thought I had ruined it. Sooooo, I practiced my thread cutting on the threads. I turned the threads down to Small Ring threads from Large Ring. But, after carefull consideration, I realised I could save it and went back to work on it. I have it looking much better now.

Unfortunately, the only receiver I have with small ring threads is a 1909 Peuvian. But it requires a threaded shank that is too long for this barrel to handle. So, the barrel goes back into the pile until I find the right action.

• 4 weeks later...