Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Stupid Question

Paul Stuart

Hey guys Im not a reloading whiz or gunsmith but a buddy of mine asked me this and I was wondering if this gets done often or if it would even be worth the trouble.

Has anyone necked a 8mm cartridge down to shoot 30 cal ammo? It seemed like a vallid question but it may be old hat around here.

I know you would have to rebarrel and all that but just wondering if anyone has done that and if it was worth the trouble and/or cost. Wouldnt it just be a souped up .308?

Thanks

Paul S

There is the 7.65X53 Mauser that is a .30 caliber that feeds very well through Mausers. It's a .311 bullet rather than .308, but it works.

The 30'06 is an oddball, I know, but it's a "souped-up" .308 Winchester and it feeds through Mausers with little modification. :)

I'm sure someone has necked a 8MMX57 down or a 7MMX57 up, but with the .308 Win and 30'06, I guess the answer is "why?".

The 30'06 is under bore for 30 caliber; no one will ever accuse you of being a hot rod by using it.

Thanks gun nutty! Like I said stupid question. I am just a shooter and all the loading stuff is still very fuzzy to me. I hope to start loading and trying to learn these things soon but now Im just ignorant to that stuff.

Thanks gun nutty! Like I said stupid question. I am just a shooter and all the loading stuff is still very fuzzy to me. I hope to start loading and trying to learn these things soon but now Im just ignorant to that stuff.

Not a stupid question at all. The fact that you were thinking about feed issues shows you were thinking. When you consider the cost of custom dies these days, wildcats like this are very expensive. You'd need a reamer $150, gages $50, dies up to $200 plus the barrel, chambering, & fitment. The .308 isn't that hard to make feed, neither is the .30-06. The 7.65x53 is a .308 equivilent but with .311" bullets as gunnutty said.