Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Magazine Taper Question.

rdm1962

Took my 35 Whelen to the range again today. Durring my first range sesion I only loaded a max of 3 rounds at a time in the magazine. Today I tried to load 5 rounds. I could load all 5 rounds in the mag. but the first 2 rounds wouldn't get picked up by the bolt. It would push them free from the mag but the rim wouldn't get caught by extractor. Rounds 3,4 &5 would feed and extract just fine.

Is this because of the differance in the body taper and/or over all length of the 35 vs 8x57? Would seating the bullet a little deeper solve this problem? I don't think that I would ever have a need for 5 rounds but would like to know the answer if anyone has it.

Ralph

I had to load some 8x57 to see how they would cycle in my 35 Whelen. The 1st. and 2nd. 8x57 rounds jam as the Whelens do. It looks like they bind on the feed ramp. Anyone have any ideas? If not I can live with only 3 rounds in the mag.

Ralph

Remember something about a worn magazine spring.

Can you swap that out and see if it makes a difference?

The extractor maybe worn or not grabbing the case rim tightly. I did a 8x57 to 35 Whelen conversion and had the same problem. There were two issues. The extractor and also I had to open the forward part of the rails to guide the round better. The Whelen is wider at the tip of the round and needs more clearance near the feed ramp.

Bill

• 4 months later...

I did some checking on what could be causing the binding in the mag. The spring is defiantly weak so I changed it. This made matters worse. The new stronger spring made all the rounds bind. The rounds are binding on the rials. My question is how much and how far back should they be opened up?

Ralph

Hmm sounds odd, I've done two 35 Whelen Ackley Improved's with no work to action or magazine. One a Springfield 03-a3, and one a 98 Mauser. Do you know if you have the correct follower in the mag? I assume you are working with a 98 Mauser? if so make sure you have a 98 follower in it and not a small ring follower. Just remember if you are going to modify a part, and are unsure about it, start with the least expensive part first. I would not think you need any feed rail work done to make this work.

Well here is what I have done so far. I pulled the follower, mag. spring and extractor out of my FN model 24. It stilled binds. I opened the rails up some and still binds. This being my 1st. build I don't know what the issue is. So before I screw something up it got shipped off to Clemson today.

Ralph

Maybe a little late...

Some of my military rifles like a definite gap between the bottom of the receiver and the top of the magazine. I'm not talking much of a gap, but the two parts must not touch. At least on a couple of my pieces.

You could shim the receiver up a bit and see if that works.

Just a thought.

Well here is what I have done so far. I pulled the follower, mag. spring and extractor out of my FN model 24. It stilled binds. I opened the rails up some and still binds. This being my 1st. build I don't know what the issue is. So before I screw something up it got shipped off to Clemson today.

Ralph

Great plan, feeding problems are something you need to see in person. There is no way to trouble shoot it properly without seeing exactly what it is doing. There are too many variables to try to trouble shoot it over the internet.

Don