Military Firearm Restoration Corner

New Build

Brenden

Gentlemen, I have gone to the dark side. It happened quickly, one minute I was on savageshooters.com, the next I was holding a 110 30-06 in my hands that my parents bought me for a gift when I graduated from college a few months ago. Then I went to midway, numerich, brownells, etc, and got parts.

Stock started out as a black synthetic. I bought some Krylon paint and made the undercoat tan, then used some "stone" paint to add the peppered affect (thanks for the idea Roger!). It has a pacymere pad on it, a .200 thick parallel side recoil lug, and a 26" ss barrel that is threaded for a muzzle brake (the thread protector is in place now). I also went with Leupold quick release bases, and will get the rings soon. I will eventually dura- coat all of the metal black. Maybe one day I will weld a different bolt handle on it, but for now it is what it is.

I have two barrels, and two bolts: One magnum, one standard. It’s pretty easy to swap barrels; ten minutes and I can go from a 30-06 to a 7mm STW. That is exactly what I did; I've forever wanted a 7mm STW. It's single shot only, but I like it. Still need a few ejector parts for the bolt, then I will shoot it. I'm a very excited person right now.

DSC02152.jpg

DSC02146.jpg

DSC02147.jpg

DSC02148.jpg

DSC02151.jpg

Brenden

Brandon, your paint job came out nice but I'm curious about the quick release scope mounts.

With no iron sights on the rifle they seem a little out of place. Are you planning to have mutiple scopes or one scope for multiple rifles?

Brandon, your paint job came out nice but I'm curious about the quick release scope mounts.

With no iron sights on the rifle they seem a little out of place. Are you planning to have mutiple scopes or one scope for multiple rifles?

Thanks all for the compliments. Kenny, I plan on having a scope for each barrel. Barrels I have now are 30-06, and 7mm STW. I plan on getting 6.5x55, 338-06, 35 Whelen, 9.3x62, 358 Norma, .338 Winnie, and probably a few .22 and .25 cal barrels. With the quick release mounts, I can change barrels and put the scope on for that caliber with less adjustment than if I used the same scope. Costly? Yes. Fun? Heck YES!

Brenden