Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Metal checkering

montea6b

I was at the hardware store yesterday looking for something else and noticed that they had a file for chasing boogered threads on screws. It was a neat four sided file, divided in half so that there were a total of eight file surfaces for different pitch threads.

Anyhow, I got to wondering whether or not such a file would work for checkering metal. I'd like to try checkering a bolt handle knob or bolt release. Has anybody ever tried one of these, or are they too rough for decent results? The price was a lot better than a metal checkering file from Brownells.

I know that some people have gotten decent results from using needle files, but the small stuff I've tried with them looks like garbage. Maybe it's just the cheap files I have...

Brownells sells triangular files just for this purpose. They are nice because the front is bent to allow better access. When I checker things like the bolt release I use it with no problems. They come in 60 or 90 degrees. The tool you are talking about would be nice if only to get a series of parallel lines.

Guest MorgansBoss

Monty

The thread chasing file you refer to can (and has) been used on surfaces where it works - typically flat surfaces. It is used in much the same way as wood checkering tool to lay-out the lines which can then be deepened with needle files. Zee pegged it though - the tool sold be Brownells is what you want if you're going to get serious about it. As always, the right tools make the job much easier.

As far as I know they generally harden files to the same hardness no matter their intended use. FWIW, I've used mine on metal with no ill affect. there may be a better alternative out there but as yet I'm not aware of it. these are the easiest so far for working on curved surfaces.

Monte from your desciption it sounds like a thread file I used to sell to auto mechanics about 30 years ago. It was the cat's meow for cleaning a cross thread on a wheel's lug stud but for a small area only. The files I sold I don't think were hard enough to do any serious metal checkering. What you got may be different being that it came from a hardware rather than an automotive source.

The thread file I sold all manufactured the same place but came in different packages and brand names such as Ken-Tool, KD Tool, Cal Van and OTC were straight. Snap-On, Mac and Bonney had one that was of much higher quality and was angled slightly on the ends. Possibly the high priced files are harder and sharper and might work.

I was at the hardware store yesterday looking for something else and noticed that they had a file for chasing boogered threads on screws.  It was a neat four sided file, divided in half so that there were a total of eight file surfaces for different pitch threads.

Anyhow, I got to wondering whether or not such a file would work for checkering metal.  I'd like to try checkering a bolt handle knob or bolt release.  Has anybody ever tried one of these, or are they too rough for decent results?  The price was a lot better than a metal checkering file from Brownells. 

I know that some people have gotten decent results from using needle files, but the small stuff I've tried with them looks like garbage.  Maybe it's just the cheap files I have...

5075[/snapback]

Thread files work just fine for laying out the lines-I have used one for that. You have to finish with triangular files, same as with a "real" checkering file. The only problem with the thread file is it's normally too coarse to make good looking checkering. Typically, metal checkering is much finer than wood checkering, usually 30lpi to 45lpi.

Guest Guest_MorgansBoss_*

For our purposes here - rifles - yeah most checkering will be pretty fine on bolt handles, safeties, floorplate releases, etc. However not to be stuck in "the box" courser checkering is common on other gun parts such as handgun backstraps, hammer spurs, etc...

I use fairly course checkering on the end of my Mauser bolt releases. Since the surface is so small It's usually laid out freehand with a knife edge file.