Military Firearm Restoration Corner

It's Been A Day Or Two...

gitano

Since I was here. For some reason I got a notice about the thread at the top of "Chewing the Cud" even though I am not subscribed to that thread. Nonetheless, I thought I'd drop in and say hi to whomever remembers who I am.

Paul

Lotsa water under the bridge. I see I'm only recorded as a member back to '06. I think I was here in '00, but there was a change in the site about '06. Not that it matters.

There's a mountain of "stuff" that has happened, as I'm sure the same is with 'you guys'. One big event is that my oldest daughter just got married last month and I turned 60. I'll tell you what, there's no way to 'sugar-coat' 60. You're just plain old.

My oldest is finishing a 5-year architecture degree and my youngest is a sophomore in college. She's going to be a writer. She was better as a senior in HS than I was when I graduated from college. I got serious about making and modifying firearms, and bought myself a good lathe and mill a few years ago. I have made a couple of rifles from old Mauser receivers. (Don't worry, they were already long past 'as issued'.) A couple of them I have actually killed things with. I'm still collecting milsurps and other old firearms. In fact, I'm currently looking for some M-95 Long Rifles. Which reminds me, I have fallen in love with the 8x56R case and have made several wildcats from it. THAT was a cartridge far ahead of its time. Very similar to the .348 Winchester. Another great cartridge to 'start with'.

That'll do for now.

Paul

PS - Oh yeah, you can have a look here www.biopar.com to see what I'm doing in my spare time. I'm not trying to sell anything, just showing you what I've been up to.

Paul

I did not know of those passings. Many have passed in my life in the past two years, the most notable of which was my Dad. To tell the truth, I'm getting tired of hearing of my friends' passings'.

Hello Karl. It was easy to remember you from your 'nom-de-plume'. I really am glad to see this site still alive and well. This was one of the first sites I ever visited on the web. It was "HondoJohn" that met me here and invited be over the The Hunter's Life where I spend most of my 'internet forum time'. I was able to go to Texas and spend some time with John. He is as nice in person as he is 'on paper'. I am sad to report that John had a stroke last winter and is having a 'tough row to hoe' getting back on his feet. I am not sure he will. There are more 'sad tales' to tell. So it goes when you age.

Paul

• 3 months later...

Hey fellas...

I wasn't ignoring you, I just didn't get any notices of responses to the posts. I'll change my setup.

I'm in Wasilla, akshooter.

FC - It is indeed. Actually I conceived of the idea when I was in grad-school in '85. Big things are going to be happening with Biopar very soon. :D

Paul