Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Sight Repair

BradD

Hi all,

Been quite a while since I've posted, busy I guess. Or so it seems.

Anyway now I need some advice.

I recently became a Swiss Vetterli collector. I was just collecting my Ugly European Military Rifles and of course no such collection as that could be complete without a few Vetterlis, they are the high water mark in that category. Strange thing happened, I fell in love with the things and have been wildly buying any good ones I could find. Actually, if it wasn't for the big hemorrhoid-like thing on the back of the bolt they woud be quite handsome. Built like a Swiss watch.

Well, I really got lucky and found a M-1869 Stutzer the other day (short rifle, double trigger sniper gun). Super rare in '69s and super condition. However when I pushed the rear sight down part of the metal cracked and will soon break off on the sight blade.

The blade is about 2 3/4" long, 5/8" wide and 3/16" thick. What is the best way to repair such thin steel? I was thinking maybe a couple dots or a bead of TIG on the under side. Is there something better and less obvious? Any chance it would warp the metal?

Thanks for any ideas.

Brad

I'm no expert on that, Brad, but, there are TIG welders that are true artists and could weld a beer can back together. Some say a gum wrapper. I would consider that. Of course, brazing or soldering it might work also, but the joined area wouldn't take a finish like the other areas.