Military Firearm Restoration Corner

New Press

ken98k

I have been using my Lee Challenger press for about 20 years and it still works fine but, recently I notice some flex when running 30-06 cases through my 338-06 resizer.

Since most of my reloading equipment is from Lee, I bought a Lee Classic Cast press and I'm very happy with the purchase. This afternoon, just as an experiment I ran a few .270 cases through the same 338-06 die with very little effort and no flex.

I have been quite satisfied with almost all my Lee products except the scale and powder measure that came with my anniversary kit, they were both junk and were replaced long ago with an RCBS scale and a Redding powder measure.

I have been quite satisfied with almost all my Lee products except the scale and powder measure that came with my anniversary kit, they were both junk and were replaced long ago with an RCBS scale and a Redding powder measure.

Congrats on the new press. I saw the Classic Cast at a gunshow right after they came out and really liked it. Bet it would take more strength than I have to get one to flex. I was going to buy one for myself but lucked into a dirt cheap RCBS Rock Chucker on Craig's List.

I've had real good luck with Lee equipment. I did have to spring for some Hornady and RCBS dies after I got a Hornady Lock N Load progrssive loader. The Lee sizing dies for 9MM, 45ACP and 380 are a tad to short. Not enough threads left to get a lock nut on securely. I've heard similar problems with Lee dies in some of Dillon's equipment but from what I've read on the net one can usually get a lock nut underneath on most Dillon presses. Wont work on my Hornady press.

I have three powder scales, actually 4 if I count my electronic piece of garbage. I checked the three powder scales with a set of RCBS check weights and as much as people knock and complain about Lee's scale it was right on. My old Pacific and Lyman scales were both off. One read high the other low. Lee's scale can be a real pain in the donkey to use, can't measure any bullets over 100 grs and it is very difficult to zero. When I set my powder measurer for the progressive loader with light loads of Bullseye I rely on the Lee scale knowing loads as light as 2.7 grs are accurate. A 2.7 gr charge barely moves either of my other scales. My Lyman and pre-Hornady Pacific scales are probably close to 30 years old and I'm sure at one time they were just as, if not more accurate than the Lee and they are both much easier to use and simple to zero.

Lee equipment is far from top of the line but like a VW Beatle. It will get you were you want to go.

I have three powder scales, actually 4 if I count my electronic piece of garbage. I checked the three powder scales with a set of RCBS check weights and as much as people knock and complain about Lee's scale it was right on. My old Pacific and Lyman scales were both off. One read high the other low. Lee's scale can be a real pain in the donkey to use, can't measure any bullets over 100 grs and it is very difficult to zero. When I set my powder measurer for the progressive loader with light loads of Bullseye I rely on the Lee scale knowing loads as light as 2.7 grs are accurate. A 2.7 gr charge barely moves either of my other scales. My Lyman and pre-Hornady Pacific scales are probably close to 30 years old and I'm sure at one time they were just as, if not more accurate than the Lee and they are both much easier to use and simple to zero.

I may still have the Lee scale and Perfect Powder Measuure.

If you like them, PM me your address and I'll send them free!:)

• 2 weeks later...

I may still have the Lee scale and Perfect Powder Measuure.

If you like them, PM me your address and I'll send them free!:)

Ken thanks much for the offer. If you don't mind, wait until a young guy just starting out comes along and passing them along to him. I've never used the Lee Perfect Measurer and don't really have a need as I've got some old (30+) Redding and RCBS measures. If I ever get through all my junk, somewhere I also have an old Herters measurer. I've been using the Redding measurer for apx 20+ years.

I appreciate the scale offer as well but already have one.