Military Firearm Restoration Corner

polish Marakov 64 9x18

724wd

ok guys and gals, anyone have an opinion or seen in person the Polish Marakov 64 9x18 pistols that SOG is selling? at $140 bucks, it LOOKS like a pretty decent deal for a small auto pistol. Sure, i'd rather have a J-frame .38 or a Walther, but until i find one of those at the same price, i'm looking pretty hard at this little black gun. Not C&R, i understand, but there are lots of transfer dealers around here that are pretty reasonable.

so, opinions?

I was checking them out at the last gun show. It seems like a quality little pistol, The plastic grips were alittle cheesy but not bad. The pistol itself seems well made. If its anything like the Bulgarian Makarov you can't go wrong. I bought one several months ago and have put over 500 rounds through it without one failure. It hits where I aim at 25 feet.

Thats my .02 cents, Tom

well, it looks in the flyer that the plastic grips are screwed on, so that means i could use some of the wood around my house to fashion a set of grips. Walnut? Tiger Wood perhaps? fiddle back maple? i've got quite an assortment of wood i use for carving...so just another project! looks like i'll order one first of the month...

should i tell my wife? blink.gif

There's a dude that makes wood grips for Maks,and he does a dern good job.I got a pair from him a couple years ago for my PA63 I think for about 20 bucks.It makes a low budget gun look as good as anybodies.I'll see if I can find the dope on him and get back to you.Jerry

After reading this post I pulled her out to look at her. I still can't belive how well she shoots and I got her for less than two bills. I would even consider carrying her. Tony remember that Brown Bear ammo I showed you at the time? Not one jam I couldn't belive it for nasty Russian ammo it worked fine. I still haven't gone to a carry permit class. I saw that Cabela's is having one next Saturday. I think I will call tomorrow to see if its full yet. Shame on me, Ive lived here in TX 9 months and haven't taken it yet. Horsefly did you find the scoop on the dude with the grips?

Tom

well, i ordered a turk from SOG. i had to pass on the polish 64 for now... my wife was none to impressed with me getting another mauser. i am sure a little pistol would go unnoticed, though... just have to wait for some things to come together...

Haven't found the grip info yet Tom.I've stuck the shipping papers somewhere,and that's why I can't find it.Too much junk.I remember I got his name off Makarov.com,but all that's there now is a company that has Mak grips for around 60 bucks.I'll keep looking.Jerry Tom,have you made it down to Military Gun Supply yet?