Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Where Do I Start?

shozie

Hello all,

this is my first post so I'm hoping some of you will be able to help.

I work in a school in the North East of Scotland in a town called Banff. We have 2 cannons that have been standing guard at the school entrance for many decades and are now showing serious signs of wear. (See photo)

My question is - what can I do to bring them back to life? What needs to be done? The timber is so dry that anything I put on just seems to get soaked up before it completely disappears. Please note I don't want to restore them with firing capabilty, I just want them to look good and last many more decades.

Many thanks

Steven

post-6375-131341753744_thumb.jpg

The US Military used either Raw Linseed Oil, Boiled Linseed Oil, or Tung Oil(China Berry Oil) on its rifle stocks to prevent drying. RLO and BLO are basically the same thing, except that BLO has driers that helps it dry quicker. Dry is a misnomer, as the Linseed Oils never really dry. RLO and BLO will darken with age, and turns a reddish color.

Tung oil can be obtained in a pure form or with addatives that cause it to shine. It is a better waterproofer(but not by much) than RLO or BLO. It also does not change color when it ages.

As old as those carraiges are, expect the wood to really soak up whatever finish one puts on. Expect to put on 4-6 coats. Allowing at least a day between coats. I am speaking about BLO here. RLO will take longer, since it lacks the driers of BLO.

Regarding the metal. If the metal was brass or bronze, and a lot of the early cannons were, you could shine them up with Brasso.

I usually see cannons painted black at historic sites. Not sure if that's the traditional color or just for ease of maintenance.

We were tasked with restoring a Navy anchor from a cruiser. Pneumatic needle guns powered with a portable compressor did the trick in knocking off most of the rust. The anchor looked good after quite a number of years.

Your cannons appear to be cast iron. I'd mechanically remove the rust with either needle guns or wire brushes. Wire wheels might work too.

We also used some rust-converter for any rust we couldn't get off mechanically. It turned the rust black and supposedly works well as a primer.

Exterior enamel or latex should work. I'd rather use the enamel, but the latex cleans up much easier. Use a good exterior primer, and paint as needed.

If your cannons are brass or bronze, you may want to paint them anyway. If not, you can always remove the paint and let the metal develop a natural green patina. I think it looks classy.

Please note I don't want to restore them with firing capabilty, I just want them to look good and last many more decades.

Many thanks

Steven

May as well get them in firing condition. Then drag them down to London and turn them loose on the rioters. I'm certain there are plenty of shop keepers that would be more than willing to keep you supplied with powder and double ought buckshot. Just kidding of coarse or as we say here in the colony, pulling your leg.