Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Stock stain question for Z

Horsefly

What stain did you use on your open sight rifle to get such a dark walnut look? Jerry

5250[/snapback]

On the laminate? I used my spar varnish/modified tung oil finish. I use it on everything. Takes longer but I feel the results are worth it. It finished out real well and is practically water proof.

Your laminate must not be a Boyds.It has more dark color wood in it than my Boyd's,and I tried a bunch of stains and ended up using pecan to get a dark honey color,and then finished it with 8 or 10 thin coats of True Oil and mineral spirits.The darkest part of your stock was what I was after,but never got .That is a fine rifle you put to together.I sure would like to have your recipe for the finish you use.I'm ready to try something different.Jerry

Jerry,

It was a Boyd's nutmeg laminate. My finish consists of equal parts spar varnish (the kind with polymer additives), modified tung oil (I use watco), and mineral spirits. I slop it on the stock all day till it won't soak up any more. Then let it dry for a month. Scrape the finish down to the wood. then star your wet sanding. I use the left over finish and wetsand with it. Create a mud with the sawdust and let it dry a day or two (however long is needed until the finish isn't tacky). The move on to the next fine grade of sandpaper (wet/dry) and repeat the whole process. Now you know why it takes me so long to post finished pics. I've got the metalwork done except for bluing on 8 projects. Just need to get the stocks done.

More later. Off to Disneyland, lol.