Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Gander Mountain

karlunity

I went to Gander Mountain today for some IMR 4064.

No Id needed..no special log out..just say "thank you" pay and leave.

I was carrying, have my permit, strange..first time I have carried arms, out side of a range since the Corps..The Hippy, she never fails to surprise me,

likes the idea as she said it made her feel safer.

I went to a local range, but left without shooting..there were only 6 stations and it was packed and fellas were waiting.

There was no range master..that blew my mind..don't know how they changed targets..

karl

I went to Gander Mountain today for some IMR 4064.

No Id needed..no special log out..just say "thank you" pay and leave.

I was carrying, have my permit, strange..first time I have carried arms, out side of a range since the Corps..The Hippy, she never fails to surprise me,

likes the idea as she said it made her feel safer.

I went to a local range, but left without shooting..there were only 6 stations and it was packed and fellas were waiting.

There was no range master..that blew my mind..don't know how they changed targets..

karl

I've been shooting at a public range for the past 20 years at which there has never been a "Range Officer" except at formal competitions when the range is closed to general public. In all of those years there has never been an "accident". The last time I went, they decided they "needed" to get some range officers. That was the last time I'll shoot at that range. To prove the point, I called a friend that doesn't like to pay to shoot so he rarely goes to any "official" range. Instead he shoots 'catch as catch can'. I called him up and told him my disappointment at the "new rules" at the range where I shot, and asked him if he knew any GOOD places to shoot. He had a couple of suggestions, so I asked if he wanted to go 'do some shooting'. The short story is that I found a GREAT place to shoot. It's very safe. There was NO ONE around all afternoon, and we had a great time. Most importantly, I didn't have some jerk-off know-it-all telling me how to behave.

The more rules there are, the more people NEED rules. 20+ years and no accidents but all of a sudden there is a "need" to have a range "officer".

PLEASE spare me the insurance "explanation". Blaming new regulations/laws on "insurance" is just plain BS. New "laws" are promulgated because we have a country in which half of the people are "sheep" and the other have feel the "need" to make laws.

If it seems like I'm a bit "sensitive" about this, I am. I'm sick of other people, most of whom have to be retrained in the use of toilet paper after their daily afternoon naps, telling me how to behave. I'm really PO'd at the "loss" of a great shooting range just because of a bunch of people that HAVE TO be "the boss" of someone else. Did I mention that I was PO'd???

Paul

I agree. I like a lonely range, and being left alone to shoot.

I feel the same but the public range the size we have here in Phoenix, shot callers (for the lack of a better term) are necessary. 50+ lanes with a wait at busy times of the year. My biggest fear are the gang banger or wannabe type that come to the range just to see how fast they can empty their semi-s. Then there are just stupid people that unfortunately earn enough via welfare or a govt job to buy a gun.

Phoenix and the surrounding burbs for years have had an annexation war. It is hard to find land that is not within the city limits, Indian reservation or county parks. State or federal land that can only be accessed with a special permit with a motor vehicle or have to hoof it in either on horseback, one's own feet or pedal power. EPA has pretty well crippled off-roading in many areas because of Phoenix area's high particulate matter in the air. To keep dust down many areas just can't be driven to or on anymore. I could go on and on but the biggest problem is being in the middle of the desert, what seems like the boonies but still within the boundaries of a city.

I've had to deal with my share of tin-god, volunteer safety rangers but unless I want to shoot at a private range with short lanes. I'm stuck with the public range if I want to shoot more than 50 yards.

Karl as you get the time try shopping around for other places. The Gander Mountian here is VERY proud of their merchandise. Anytime I stop there and see their pricing it takes my breath away. They make Cabelas and Bass Pro look like discount retailers.

Makes me glad for my own little range.

For many years I had a perfect spot for shooting but it is now part of the city of Glendale. What irritates me the most for a long time it was a short strip the city put around county land. The cities are trying to preserve the county islands for future sales tax revenue. We had a huge mountain for a back stop and if more shooters showed up everybody worked together.

I could take my friend that lost his eyesight in Viet Nam. I'd get him lined up in a safe direction, stand behind him and let him shoot. I'd put my hand on his shoulder and as long as my hand was there he would shoot. If I removed my hand or touched both shoulders he'd immediately stop and point his muzzle up. We avoided the area on weekends and if several shooters showed up we would leave. Obviously other shooters don't want to be around a blind shooter especially one that legally owns full autos. We are no longer permitted to shoot together at the public range and so far I have not been able to locate another area with a large mountain back stop without driving for hours. I almost feel guilty at times going shooting without my blind bud but until I find the ideal location close to town we have to drive nearly 3 hours so he can shoot safely.

You are right on that one Tom...$40 for one lb of 4064 and two packs of 100 primers was a bit much.

AZ, I don't know if your friend is into shooting revolvers, but there used to be a practice bullet that was powered by a primer alone that you guys could shoot indoors.

http://www.speer-bullets.com/products/components/plastic_training_bullets.aspx

karl

You are right on that one Tom...$40 for one lb of 4064 and two packs of 100 primers was a bit much.

AZ, I don't know if your friend is into shooting revolvers, but there used to be a practice bullet that was powered by a primer alone that you guys could shoot indoors.

http://www.speer-bullets.com/products/components/plastic_training_bullets.aspx

karl

I have some of those practice bullets. They are great for scaring away Tom cats determined to leave their stench. There really is no substitute for somebody determined to do everything he did prior to going blind. My friend is an avid gun collector including class 3 weapons. He wants to shoot everything he has at least once.