Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Need Info On M98 Small Ring Mauser Rifle

Polock

A friend gave me a small ring Mauser 98 that some one did a terrible job of sporterizing. Bore has severe rust for the last 6-8 inches, and the steps have been removed (looks like it was done with a file). Rifle is in a LR 98 Mauser sporter stock, bolt altered and rcvr D&T.

I am thinking about making it a military looking pseudo "snipper" rifle--don't want to replicate any type rifle, just want to play with a scoped rifle with a military look, so would appreciate some advice:

What military stock will fit this action? For reasons of economy, don't want a new stock or to buy an original.

Will a GEW88 barrel fit this action? I have a bbld rcvr (Centerfire Arms) with a decent bore. Other than this, is there another option besides Swede 6.5 bbls?

Appreciate any help from knowledgable members with this potential project--

We definitely need pictures to determine what receiver you have. If it is a true small ring 98 like a KAR98, stocks are hard to find, but any large ring barrel will fit. The GEW88 was a small shank barrel IIRC as is the Sweede. These will not fit in a large shank small ring, but will fit in a large ring small shank action like a 38 Turk K. Kale.

The large ring refers to the outside diameter of the receiver's front ring but the barrel could be a large or a small shank. The KAR is a small ring large shank 98, whereas the K. Kale is a large ring small shank 98. There were some small ring small shank models as well.

You don't find them to often but the Mexican Model 1910 is a Small Ring Small shank and the same hole spacing as the Pre98 actions. The Turk Model 1903 is a Large ring Small shank and Intermediate hole spacing as the Mexican 1910 and the Belgian and Yugo Model 24's. Confused yet? Like the man said "A picture helps a lot". Lacking pictures, everything stamped on it at the factory helps.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Polish Radom K98 (small ring, but otherwise standard 98 receiver). Originally it had an 8mm barrel that was hacked off. I replaced it with a standard Mauser 98 (large ring) 7mm barrel, screwed right in. I am fitting a Boyd's 98 stock to it (but will need to use J-B Weld to bed the area around the ring to fill the gap. My original stock (military hacked down and vanished) may be available mid to late summer 2012. I wouldn't "sell" it but I may trade for some other gun part (Mauser, BP, or whatever).

There are so many ways that you might go in standard calibers if you want to re-barrel. With a small ring receiver, I wouldn't think in terms of a magnum. What barrel length do you have now? Would cutting off 8" and re-crowning still give you 20-something inches? I think that 18.5" is minimum legal and the shorter the barrel the less the muzzle velocity and greater muzzle blast. Most of my hunting rifles fall in the 22" to 24" range.

My tendency is to try to make the most of what I have in front of me then if that doesn't work out, then start changing parts. I have one or two wood stocks that I've obtained that had been bedded with a brown material and you have to look close to tell. So if you want to fill in the gap around the small ring receiver if you drop it into a large ring stock.

Tinker

• 5 weeks later...

Gentlemen--Thank you for the responses, and accept my apology for this late reply!

First, I should have mentioned that the rifle is a WWI German K98a--definitely a small ring receiver. I do not know if these have the small or large shank. From reading, I assume a regular large ring K98 bbl would fit, and was hoping the GEW88 bbl would as I have a nice one with no other use for it!

Second, I failed to mention that I am extremley computer challenged, and have no idea how to post pics, nor do I own a digital camera. I realize this causes an extreme loss of interest for many readers (I also love to see pics)and do appreciate any help/advice given).

The current bbl would have to be cut back below 16" to remove the rusted part. May have a flash hider welded on to make it legal if I decide to cut, but have a decent K98 (large ring) bbl I will probably use instead.

My main quest is a military stock to make it look quasi-military, since it had been D&T and bolt altered. Seems there is no easy (read cheap) way to go--was hoping a Swede or M95 stock would work. Guess I'll relegate it to the "too hard" area of the safe! As it was a gift, won't sell it/part it out--

Wishing us all a belated Happy New Year--

Polock