Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Thinking About Moving Again Next Year

karlunity

Fellas.

The Villages is a nice place for a golfer.

But I don't golf and my jokes about putting Mauser's in a golf bag get strange looks.

The Hippy wants a place with more land to grow "organic" and I want my own range like FC has.

Some place between 100 to 150K.

I have to wait a year as I agreed to do so when I moved in.

Again, this is a very nice place..pools..golf..games and clubs..BUT the nearest range is an hour away!!!

karl

My Dad spent some time in Brownsville/Harlingen Texas with the other snow birds. Low cost of living, warm weather, and no state income tax. And hey, it was Texas too! I'm sure your golf buddies will need an extra cart just for carrying arms.

I enjoyed my visits down there. Although I didn't get to play, it's not far from the sea (Corpus) and you could probably get a charter readily. My only gripe was the rather aggressive drivers between San Antonio and Austin on the way back home.

That was a couple years ago though.

I would think a golf course would make a dandy place for shooting! Imagine helping those little white balls fall into holes with a nicely placed shot. Just be sure you shout "Fore" before you shoot.

If you do move somewhere in Texas, stay away from the border. That place is a ticking time bomb that hasn't gone off yet.

Northern East Texas, between DFW and the Tyler area would probably be a nice place to retire to. Lots of shooting ranges, golf courses, national forests, friendly people, country traffic, etc.

I agree, stay away from the border. I lived in Texas 18 years. My wife is from there. We still love Texas. We live in Arkansas. Texas ain't Texas anymore. Half the people here in NW Arkansas are from Texas. The other half are from California. (I lived in California 18 years too.)

My Dad spent some time in Brownsville/Harlingen Texas with the other snow birds. Low cost of living, warm weather, and no state income tax. And hey, it was Texas too! I'm sure your golf buddies will need an extra cart just for carrying arms.

I enjoyed my visits down there. Although I didn't get to play, it's not far from the sea (Corpus) and you could probably get a charter readily. My only gripe was the rather aggressive drivers between San Antonio and Austin on the way back home.

That was a couple years ago though.

My 75 year old mother lives in Harlingen. While the summer heat, insects and proximity to the border would preclude me from ever living there, she likes it well enough.