Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Another Newbie With More Questions Than Sense (Pics Inside)

Exile131

Hello Forum.

I've been reading over the topics for a few days and want to try my hand at rebarreling a couple mausers. It seems there are lot of people with some really good info on here so I thought this would be as good as place as any to ask some questions. I'll just put them in a numbered order

#1. I want to order a few actions but don't know where is a good place to buy from. Is there a good source on these or have they dried up like many surplus items?

#2. The calibers I'm most interested in are 300WM, 30-06, 308, 6.5 Grendel (if possible),22-250. What receivers work best for each of these calibers m24/47? k98? others?

I've been building guns for about 7 years now but so far it has been semiauto assault rifles. AKs mainly with a couple FALs and ARs thrown in there. I always like the guns I built myself over ones you can just buy at the store. I've also been wanting to step into bolt actions for some time now and learn a new skill.

Thanks for your help guys I'm sure I'll have many more questions in the future. Here are a couple pictures of just a few of my builds.

krinkandRPK.jpg

DSC01051.jpg

DSC00683.jpg

DSC00314.jpg

Hello Forum.

I've been reading over the topics for a few days and want to try my hand at rebarreling a couple mausers. It seems there are lot of people with some really good info on here so I thought this would be as good as place as any to ask some questions. I'll just put them in a numbered order

#1. I want to order a few actions but don't know where is a good place to buy from. Is there a good source on these or have they dried up like many surplus items?

#2. The calibers I'm most interested in are 300WM, 30-06, 308, 6.5 Grendel (if possible),22-250. What receivers work best for each of these calibers m24/47? k98? others?

I've been building guns for about 7 years now but so far it has been semiauto assault rifles. AKs mainly with a couple FALs and ARs thrown in there. I always like the guns I built myself over ones you can just buy at the store. I've also been wanting to step into bolt actions for some time now and learn a new skill.

Thanks for your help guys I'm sure I'll have many more questions in the future. Here are a couple pictures of just a few of my builds.

A great place to start is Jerry Kuhnhausen's Mauser Shop Manual.

Everything you need to get started on Mausers is in there, including discussions of which actions for which purposes. There are still some Mausers available from the usual C&R sellers, but if you're looking for a donor action you might keep an eye on Gunbroker or AuctionArms for already sporterized rifles. The collectors won't be driving the prices up on those.

You've built some nice rifles there - Mausers will be a bit different, but not impossible.

Hi there, and welcome! A-men to getting Jerry K's mauser shop manual. If you can think it, someone on this board has probibly done it at least once. LOL Check out the archival here titled actions to give you a starting point for food for thought. Samco Global out of Miami has some great 24/47 Yugo barreled actions that look absolutely unissued! Might be a good starter. Also if you google "Curio and Relic" dealers you will have a nice list of places to check out for milsurp rifles and parts. Good luck not getting bit by the Mauser Bug!

Thanks guys. I'll be ordering the book tonight. While new at trying to rebarrel and customize them, I'm not really new to the C&R game. I've had my C&R License for about 8 years. I haven't really stock piled these guns just bought some when I see a good deal. So far I have acculated 2 K31s, 2 M24/47s, 1 M48A, 2 Hex receivered M91/30s, 1 CZ52, 2 Springfield M1 Garands (1942 and 195something), 1 Winchester M1 carbine. All but the US stuff are numbers matching and select grade kits so I can't see myself tampering with them.

I've been looking at Sarco and think I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Bought one 1937 vz-24 action from a gunsmith buddy almost 40 years ago about time I did something with it. I used to buy junker military rifles for their actions. swede mauser, 1895 chilean mauser,1917 enfield (two winchesters) a moisin, and possible others.

Usually if the bbl is beyond hope salvaging you sometimes can cut a deal as a parts rifle. Don't throw anything away. I keep all the

unused parts in freezer bags and write what parts they came off of. Case in point, siamese mauser no cartridges available so got it for $100. Sold the stock and all metal for $100 so basically the action was free. Bubba'd rifles also sometimes come up for sale relatively cheap so if its an action make a deal with that in mind. I once paid $50 for a cadet martini actioned rifle. bbl was totally trashed ended up paying $75 for that one. Funny thing about that rifle was the action and wood was in perfect condition. just thebore of the bbl was trashed. I could go on but I think you get the idea. Good actions to look for are persian 8mm, 1909 argentine, my personal favorite vz-24, RC mausers and mausers made before 1943-44 as quality control was slipping badly. Frank

I have found it to be better in the long run to buy a complete rifle rather than just an action.

It's often less expensive also,

Check out Sarco or Century or Samco. Also check your local gun shops and pawn shops.

Any standard mauser 98 action is what you're looking for.

The Yugo 24-47, m-48, or m-48A are good actions but require a little more machine work when rebarreling.

Tell me about the jeep in your photo. :)

Your 24/47 and M48 actions are not well-suited to 30-06 or 300 Win Mag because of the length. They would work fine for .308 or even .22-250.

Check J&G Sales for VZ24 rifles. Also Southern Ohio Guns. Mausers are drying up and getting more expensive. Buy now while there are a few available out there.

Clemson

Thanks for the help guys.

I looked at J&Gs site but didn't find the VZ24. I'll call them tomorrow. Sarco was also a bust

I've been reading through here and saw that the m24/47 and m48 wouldn't work well with the larger calibers so I figured I'd need a longer action

Now my new question is this. Would a K98 action be a good path for these bigger rounds. If so which is better German or Belgium. Are there things I want to watch out for?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the help guys.

I looked at J&Gs site but didn't find the VZ24. I'll call them tomorrow. Sarco was also a bust

I've been reading through here and saw that the m24/47 and m48 wouldn't work well with the larger calibers so I figured I'd need a longer action

Now my new question is this. Would a K98 action be a good path for these bigger rounds. If so which is better German or Belgium. Are there things I want to watch out for?

i recommend a commercial mauser for anything magnum, its alot easier then getting one heat treated and will be cheaper too.