Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Swede Projtect

hunter3553

Hello everyone, registered here a long time ago and just getting back on. I have a "semi sporterized" M38 swede I received as a gift from my parents 16 years ago. It has been drilled and tapped for a scope, the bolt handle heated and crudely bent to clear scope mounted on shoot through rings and a aftermarket stock. I have a son who will be old enough to begin shooting in the next few years and I'd like to hand this rifle down to him with some improvements. I would like to keep the original barrel as it was a 0 condition on the disc and it shoots wonderfully. I want to put a new trigger, safety that will allow lower scope mounts and a new bolt handle welded on. I would also like to remove the sights and have the barrel cut and crowned. As well as a new stock. I was hoping I could possiblly do some the the work myself(like sight removal. I have never done anything like this before but I'm handy with tools. I would love some suggestions or ideas on what I can do myself as well as what brands I should consider for aftermarket replacement parts.

drift out the front & rear sight base pins (keep them) & then knock off the sights with a mallet & a piece of wood. You may have to heat the rear base with a torch to get the silver-solider on there to let loose. drift back in the rear pin & peen it in or secure it with some jb weld then grind/sand it flush. Shorten the barrel to 22-21" & recrown. Sand blast the whole deal & reblue or finish off in duracoat or gun coat, you'll have a winner. I'm in the process of doing a swede right now.

drift out the front & rear sight base pins (keep them) & then knock off the sights with a mallet & a piece of wood. You may have to heat the rear base with a torch to get the silver-solider on there to let loose. drift back in the rear pin & peen it in or secure it with some jb weld then grind/sand it flush. Shorten the barrel to 22-21" & recrown. Sand blast the whole deal & reblue or finish off in duracoat or gun coat, you'll have a winner. I'm in the process of doing a swede right now.

thanks rust, are the safety and trigger something best left to a gunsmith? I think i've found someone to do my bolt work for me.

thanks rust, are the safety and trigger something best left to a gunsmith? I think i've found someone to do my bolt work for me.

Nope - I like the bold or timney triggers with side-safety. You'll get some argument on here that they aren't a "real" safety because they block the trigger & not the sear, but whatever. These are nice because you can adjust the trigger break poundage

If you want to get really slick you can replace the clunky safety/bolt shroud with a sleek fn style shroud:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=20645/Product/BOLT-SHROUD

or you can simply replace the military 2-stage trigger with a single stage & the existing swing safety with a low mount safety. Sarco or numrich always had good deals for these. Those are much more "drop in". You may have to fit a new shroud a little, but nothing too major. Just make sure you put it all together in the white before you start doing major finishing work on it, to make sure it functions correctly.

Here's a good link of a guy who built one.

Photos