Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Flash Hider

gregaba

Hi

I had allready been to their site which is why I was asking if I would run into any problems with installing the 308 flash hider.I am perty new to these Mausers as the last one I worked on was in Jr high school in 1962 when I sportized a 1891 which was a gift from Frank Cooly for chirstmas.

I didn't want to spend the money and then find out it was a mistake.

Thank you for the link as I appricate any help I can get.

Greg

I'm sure what you're asking is do-able. Just pick the one withlargest thread you can find.

If you get one thats threaded 1/2-28 it may not leave much meat.

.500-.323=.177 /2= .09

Not much meat left at .09

Hi

I will do that. I just didn't want to waste any money because it isn't easy to come by any more.

Greg

How are you planning to thread the muzzle?

Do you have accsess to a lathe?

Hi

I have been a mechanic for 40 years and have all the shop tools except a lathe of the right type,however a good friend of mine is a master mechinest[sp?] with a shop. If I buy him a 6 pack and sit there with him and shoot the bull he will do the work for me.

He will also tell me if I am out of my mind to try to thread a part on .09 of metal.

It is a 180 mile round trip to his shop and back and that is why I wanted to see what everyone on this forum though about the ideal before I tried it. I have 3 barrels to experiment on so if 2 don't work I will still have one good one.

Thanks

Greg

a good friend of mine is a master mechinest[sp?] with a shop. If I buy him a 6 pack and sit there with him and shoot the bull he will do the work for me.

Thats even better :)

He flash hiders and muzzle brakes are relatively easy to make. Just pick one out that you like and copy it (to your specs)

Your friend can probably turn one out in a very short time.

Hi

I have been a mechanic for 40 years and have all the shop tools except a lathe of the right type,however a good friend of mine is a master mechinest[sp?] with a shop. If I buy him a 6 pack and sit there with him and shoot the bull he will do the work for me.

He will also tell me if I am out of my mind to try to thread a part on .09 of metal.

It is a 180 mile round trip to his shop and back and that is why I wanted to see what everyone on this forum though about the ideal before I tried it. I have 3 barrels to experiment on so if 2 don't work I will still have one good one.

Thanks

Greg

Hey, your lucky. My mechinest friend who also has his own shop, now lives 600mi from me since I moved. Any machine work I need has to wait until I get back to visit family (twice a year) & that`s when I get to see him. It realy sucks sometimes as some little jobs I do myself with hand tools & if I get stuck, I call him & he will walk me through.

Hey, your lucky. My mechinest friend who also has his own shop, now lives 600mi from me since I moved. Any machine work I need has to wait until I get back to visit family (twice a year) & that`s when I get to see him. It realy sucks sometimes as some little jobs I do myself with hand tools & if I get stuck, I call him & he will walk me through.

Hi

And I was bitchin about 180 miles. I am just going to have to get tommy to move back here. He can make anything and is a big help on my custom and hot rod builds.

I have had him doing work for me for over 30 years and he has allways turned out excellent work and I have never had to send anything back for a redo. The only problem is he will disappear every once in a while and you have to wait for him to come back. Last time he went moose hunting in Alaska and just locked up the shop and didn't tell anyone.

Oh well thats the way it is.

Greg