Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Scope For 30-06 With Buehler Solid Ring Mount

8uck5nort

I am coming close to completing my mauser rebarreled to 30-06. I need to scope it using the Buehler 1 inch solid rings. This rules out most modern scopes with a bell shaped objective end since they are usually sealed with inert gasses, and breaking that seal to insert the scope into the mount is out of the question.

I am thinking of picking up an old weaver scope. This mauser originally had a K7 that was beat to snot when I got it. In fact Mike ended up with it to use the windage and elevation caps. What older scope will work with the solid buehler rings? I found some very nice vintage weaver K6's that might work, but don't know if you can remove the eyepiece without royally screwing up the scope. I just don't know enough about the older sopes to make an intelligent decision.

I am also combing GB and fleabay for a set of reasonbly priced split rings. that would get me around the whole "unassemble the scope" thing to mount it.

I was also considering a newer weaver V3 1-3x 20mm or Nikon Monarch 1-4x 20mm African with the german reticle, but these are a little too much money for an untested rifle. If it shoots well I may go to one of these scopes in the future.

Thank you in advance for your input.

Darin