Military Firearm Restoration Corner

I Am Thinking Of Moving From Comcast Cable To Direct Tv

karlunity

Fellas.

I am thinking of moving from comcast cable to direct tv as direct tv is a lot cheaper.

I am thinking of getting the basic package at $ 29 a month and moving my internet to century link at $ 14 a month.

Have any you guys used them..what is good and what is bad?

karl

Dish has a nice package listed called "Dish America", an all HD package for $25 for the first year, $35 thereafter.

It doesn't have FoxNews, Nicelodeon, Disney, or BigTen. Seems like a no-nonsense package for HDTVs. I'd get it, but my daughter has to have the kid channels. I don't need Fox or BigTen (most football winds up on ABC anyway). I get many more channels cheaper on analog CenturyLink.

I will caution you on "cheaper". That $29 DirectTV dollar amount will move to $44.99 after one year and $60.99 after two. That price is for one TV. Additional TVs require additional hardware rentals. They will nickel-and-dime you on everything.

I'm suspecting that Satellite and Cable companies are all thieves.

Ken, about sixty bucks a month is about seven bills a year. That's the bill they sent. Whether you pay it all at once or in 12 installments, the cost is the same. That got us basic TV with two receivers, one package of "premium" movie channels that only played 20+ year old movies we'd seen 100 times, had on disk or just sucked, some news channels, and every thing else was 20+ minutes of commercials per hour of programming. Like they blocked 3 hours for a 100 minute movie.

This is a little off topic but somebody was talking about dvr's.got my electric bill and they have there news letter, they had astory saying that dvr'sburn aas much juice in a year as a new refrigerator.

Ken, about sixty bucks a month is about seven bills a year. That's the bill they sent. Whether you pay it all at once or in 12 installments, the cost is the same. That got us basic TV with two receivers, one package of "premium" movie channels that only played 20+ year old movies we'd seen 100 times, had on disk or just sucked, some news channels, and every thing else was 20+ minutes of commercials per hour of programming. Like they blocked 3 hours for a 100 minute movie.

I like the old movies and I watch TCM almost exclucively. Ufortunately, I had to get the 120 channel package to get that channel, so I'm at about $60 per month. :(

A few years ago I started recoprding movies I like onto DVD and now I have hundreds. One of thes days when TCM runs out of oldies I'll drop the subscription.

I've been a directv customer off & on for about 5 years & have nothing but good things to say. Sometimes we've paused our service for 6-9 months as we've pcs'd or I've deployed (just to break the tv habit). Other times we've signed up for a seemingly good deal from the local cable company. In the end, we always come back to direct.

Recently, I returned when they offered a two year contract, free HD for life, plus a DVR all for $29 a month +taxs. My tv bill is $32.12 every month & once you have a dvr you'll never look back. I hardly ever turn on the tv looking for something to watch. Everything is prerecorded or I use the ondemand feature where you can downlaod directly to your dvr. Also, directv offers youtube & my 3yo & I watch tons of loony tunes or mickey mouse right from the internet. It's great!

• 3 weeks later...

HI

Century link is Qwest. They still have a bad rep and I won'tuse them.My 2cents.

Century link is, if you live where they have it at best a second option. That 20$ a mo is for there dial up, about less than 3mb/s. If you live outside of a small area, outside city limits good luck .

even inside city limits you might no get the higher speeds. So be sure to check if your area is in that supplied with the higher 12mb/s speeds. I still prefer cable. No dongles for the phone lines. Either way you have to pay for a modem. ANd cable supports 50mb/s, c-link does not.

ciao