Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Swede Action And Barrel

ctford30

I just bought a Swede 96 action and a barrel that has been spoterized by Kimber of America. I am new to the whole Mauser building thing. I thought it would be a good hobby for me and my 9 year old son. Where can I find some info on how to install the barrel. I know I'll need the correct tools, i found what I'll need at midway USA. I was going to have a gunsmith do it, but i would rather do it myself to learn how. Is it as simple as screwing in the barrel and checking headspace with a go, no go gauge? Thanks for any help.

Yes and no. Depends on exactly what the circumstances are. Just be careful with those kimber actions. They were famous for making dangerous situations by building guns in calibers that excessed the pre-98 pressure capabilities. Give us some more details and I'm sure we can walk you through and get you the necessary info.

Don

I just bought a Swede 96 action and a barrel that has been spoterized by Kimber of America. I am new to the whole Mauser building thing. I thought it would be a good hobby for me and my 9 year old son. Where can I find some info on how to install the barrel. I know I'll need the correct tools, i found what I'll need at midway USA. I was going to have a gunsmith do it, but i would rather do it myself to learn how. Is it as simple as screwing in the barrel and checking headspace with a go, no go gauge? Thanks for any help.

If it was me I'd farm out the barrel/chamber work. But I don't mean to divert your enthusiasm.

Installing a barrel and getting the chamber/headspace/extractor slot right is a tall order for a first timer(I've never attempted it). Not that it can't be accomplished, but a tall order nonetheless. There's a lot that can be done to a rifle, less demanding tasks, once it is barreled,

AGI has good videos to learn from, among others. Poke around and see how they do it.

Information: https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&newwindow=1&safe=off&site=&q=gusmithing+instruction&oq=gusmithing+instruction&aq=f&aqi=g-l1g-lv1&aql=&gs_sm=13&gs_upl=2297l11345l0l16169l22l22l0l0l0l0l291l3751l1.15.6l22l0

Youtube has videos, also.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=gunsmithing&oq=gunsmithing&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&gs_sm=12&gs_upl=6622l12222l0l18807l11l11l0l4l4l0l327l1694l0.1.5.1l7l0

Those Kimbers were nice rifles, I missed the boat when they sold them some years back. Swedes are quality rifles and you can't beat the cartridge.

Good luck with this, you already have a good start.

What you're proposing can turn into some of the best days of your lives for you and your son if done correctly and safely.

As you seem to have limited experience, You should at the very least get the acton checked out by a local gunsmith. There has been a LOT of what appears to be stuff Kimber threw in the trash and someone has been selling on the internet.

Next get a copy of THE MAUSER BOLT ACTIONS, by Jerry Kuhnhausen

Hey Dude,

If it is one of Kimbers actions and they didn't already ruin it, [which they were known to have done to many]. It isn't brain surgery to rebarrel a small ring. Simpler than a 98 anyway, because there is only one bearing surface at the reciever face. It can be done with hand tools and a rented reamer and go gage if the barrel is a new {short chambered}barrel. If not it will require a lathe and proper tooling. There is no extractor groove to deal with on a Swede. Yugo's do have one.

Check out Steve Wagner's Pages for DIY mauser projects and tools that can be done at home. Like angle iron action wrench and barrel vise. Kunhausen's book is a very good reference as stated.

If you want to do it right. Start with peace of mind and have a reputable smith check your reviever/bolt unless you are very familiar with mausers and know what and how to check the various problems than can be there.

JM2c

And you can have the smith install and headspace the barrel. That is the stuff that will cost you about the same to do it yourself if you need to buy the tools. Unless you think you might do more of them. That still leaves alot to be done and customized be you and your son, but you will also have the piece of mind that it is a safe gun.

Don

Kimber bought and sporterized thousands of sweedes and vz24's, some were damaged in the procsess. I have seen many of these that were obviosly made un-usable and throw in the trash only to show up on gunbroker. For example, several were twisted like a pretsel but the seller said it just needed a little straightening.

I did get them off gunbroker, but the seller is a gunsmith and has excellent feedback. I paid just hair over a hundred for the barrel and receiver shipped. The barrel is a military M96 that kimber milled to have the step removed and cut down to 22". It looks like it still has very strong rifling.

Not everything he has is junk, I think he just doesn't have a clue how to tell the difference. I would have it checked out by someone before putting too much into it. I'm refering to the action, the barrel should be fine as long as it headspaces. You might want to research someone that can install the barrel for you and check it all out at the same time. I don't know if you have anyone in your area, but if you need some recomdations just ask.

Don

The best way to tell a warped action is to simply put a bolt into it. The swede action is probably one of the smoothest mauser actions out there. It should work like butter with no sticking or difficulty.

Also, always visually inspect for cracks or discoloration from previous heat treating. Aside from that, it should make a very nice sporter.

Here's a great article on one a guy did: http://www.huntingnut.com/index.php?name=news&file=article&sid=42

Pictures: http://www.huntingnut.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=67

I'm currently building one myself in the orginal 6.5.