Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Books

What are some good books on mauser sporterizing? I am particularly interesting in magnum conversion, squeezing ever little bit of length out of a military mauser action. I know some filing can me done on the back of the action below the bridge, a little bit off the bolt stop, and some more off the feed ramp, but I don't know the specifics.

Never seen any specs like that in a book. Best bet is get an aftermarket guard for the cartridge in question and match the cut out. If you seriously want a big bore on a 98, I wouldn't skimp and plan on spending some money since there is a lot of work involved. So paying $400 for a nice Weibe or Blackburn guard isn't much in the long run. But that's just my opinion.

Don

Try R.A. Walsh's book, MAUSER M98 & M96 How To Build Your Favorite Custom Rifle

I agree with Sailormilan2 on Walsh book. Many don't like it but I found some very useful info there when I was first starting out sporterizing. I will say that some of the info is baloney and you must filter out the crap.

Ad to that The Mauser Bolt Actions by Jerry Kuhnhausen and you should be off to a good start if you read and undersatnd them both.

I agree with Sailormilan2 on Walsh book. Many don't like it but I found some very useful info there when I was first starting out sporterizing. I will say that some of the info is baloney and you must filter out the crap.

Ad to that The Mauser Bolt Actions by Jerry Kuhnhausen and you should be off to a good start if you read and undersatnd them both.

Care to give an example of the sort of bad information?

Care to give an example of the sort of bad information?

In one section the caption under a photo describes a "presentation grade" 458 win. He says the receiver was hand engraved in London, England.

I have an exact copy of his receiver, and I have seen dozens of others, It is a Parker-Hale, made in Spain, and the engraving is roll marked.

Basically, he thinks his stuff rate top notch. Where I would put it the everyday catagory. He would be laughed out of the ACGG, couldn't even get them to look at his stuff. I just don't see him as an authority to write a book, not that I could either. But I never claimed to be.

Don

Basically, he thinks his stuff rate top notch. Where I would put it the everyday catagory. He would be laughed out of the ACGG, couldn't even get them to look at his stuff. I just don't see him as an authority to write a book, not that I could either. But I never claimed to be.

Don

Don, your work is far superior to that of Mr Walsh and I'm sure you could put together a much better book. :)

Like I said, his was a big help to me along with the Jerry Kuhnhausen book. Those 2 books along with this site are going to be a big help to any novice builder.

• 1 year later...

The Walsh book is the only way for me for feed lips on VZ24 to magnum conversion.

I would have never figured it out.