Military Firearm Restoration Corner

98 Mauser Action?

cougar69

Ok, I have an Interarms Mark X with the commersal 98 Mauser action on it in 270w. This rifle has a very fine metal & wood finish on it & it`s very accreate. The problem is, if I charge the mag with 1 round or up to 4 rounds I can recycle the bolt as fast as I can & each round will chamber & eject properly. But if I put in the 5th one the bolt will over ride it & the round will move forward from the bolt friction & start up the ramp, but the head will go down in the mag well & jam it up. I then have to release the mag door to get them out. Any thoughts on this problem, & if so is it a quick fix? Thanks in advance------------mauserman69

Do you really need 5 shots?

Usually when I am deer hunting I only put 2 or 3 in the anyway. But that sounds like a rail problem, if you put in a stronger sping it could get worse. One of those thing where you need to see in person to really have any idea of the solution though.

Don

good lord load the damnnnn 4 set the 5th ontop push half way into chamber hold it down slide bolt upto it till it has started under extractor claw and ram that b.i.t.c.h freakin home. same thing i have to do to fit 4th round in my 1951 weatherby original on a fn.

I know several people you can send those actions to that will correct the feeding. Probably end up costing a few hundred though when it is all said and done. Is it worth it? Very common to not feed under all that pressure if everything isn't perfect. You have to remember they made those actions the same no matter caliber it was, other than mag and non mag.

Rod, what the heck kind of hunting you doing with that 300wh that you need 4 anyway? I only need 1 in my 300 h+h.

Don

Thanks for all the replies. I fixed it myself. I just load 4 rounds & call it a day. LOL

If you have acsess to other mauser rifles, try experimenting with different spring and follower combinations.

• 3 weeks later...

If you have acsess to other mauser rifles, try experimenting with different spring and follower combinations.

Can't answer on the spring myself because I have not had a probelme with one but I do have a follower that gives me grief.

The follower is from a 7.65 Argentine and I am using it in a 6.5x55.

Last round won't even go into the mag right because of the way the bump on the follower crowds the rounds.

It was the cleanest, nicest follower I had and I have meant to fix it but have just been loading three at a time anyway so I won't worry about it until I know I will get a chance to hunt with it.

That's an easy fix buy a swede follower or at least a standard 98. The argie follower is set up for more case taper.

Don

Thanks, Don. It's just been easier to load three than to run to a show and paw through the bins. My last Swede part was a actually follower and I put it in a mutt I sold to a fella who wouldn't be able to fix it himself.

If the Argentine has more taper than the Swede, the follower in my rifle may not be original. The base of the first 6.5x55 round lies against the hump but the rest of the case does not. I may make the required adjustment on the one I have and save the gas it takes to get to a show.

An argie follower will have a + sign on it.

Don

It's an Argentine then.

I never before noticed any markings on it besides a "4" on the bottom, but I took it out and got it in bright light. It's right where the cartridges have slid across it for years and is now almost indiscernible.

I will put up with it until someone in need of one has a Swede to trade.

Thanks, Don.