Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Tactical Bolt Handle

donmarkey

Even though I'm not a fan of them, I know other poeple like them. I made this one recently for someone and tried to do something to make them just as functional but not so ugly. Here is what I came up with. Normally I would have made it lower but I was matching the original forged bolt's height.

Don

ebay118.jpg

ebay117.jpg

I wonder where or why they come up with this tacticle stuff? I would think a design that selected by numerous countries as their main battle rifle would be "tacticle"

Anyway, nice work, as usual Don.

Tactical, or rather as it is sometimes called "tacticool", has its place. The bigger ball makes it easier to work, less chance of the hand slipping off the ball. While I like the looks of that handle, I think it needs to be curved a bit. Bolt knob will then stick out a bit from the stock to make hitting it with the palm easier and more sure.

On mine, I ground down the ball, and threaded the resulting stub/shaft. This gave me an additional 1 1/2" of length which really reduced the bolt lift effort. The shaft is also curved a bit more, allowing the bolt knob to stick out a bit more for a more assured contact.

Before:

000_2231.jpg

After:

000_2229.jpg