Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Taurus Tcp .380

FC

My wife liked the Taurus TCP .380, and bought it as her first gun. It's small and lightweight. I like it too. It shoots low, right for me. I notice that the brass ejection angle is not good. One time the brass hit her in the forehead. This video shows the last round hitting the girl, who has short arms, in the face twice. Big negative there.

http://www.firearmpatriot.com/?page_id=6

Taurus does make good hand guns.

I got the Hippy a .38 sin 5 shot which she likes. It is accurate and well made.

As to ejection, I agree. I prefer the port on the side.Getting hit with hot brass is not fun.

karl

That thing's a bear to reassemble. There's a retention pin that has to angle over a horizontal spring. I finally had to grind a little bevel on the pin just to get it in. I fired it to make sure it was still safe for my wife to use.

• 1 month later...

Taurus does make good hand guns.

I got the Hippy a .38 sin 5 shot which she likes. It is accurate and well made.

As to ejection, I agree. I prefer the port on the side.Getting hit with hot brass is not fun.

karl

I'm with Karl preferring a revolver for a woman. There are plenty of exceptions to the rule but most women are simply not mechanically inclined. In the case of a simple jam I fear my wife hitting the panic button rather than clear it. I had a problem getting my wife to warm up to any gun until I found an over priced Lady Smith. She took to it right away because it is "cute". I deliberately loaded it with mild reloads to avoid the fear from recoil. After she became accustomed to it she now handles 38+P's without any fear.

My daughter-in-law is a lefty and is a crack shot with my 45. The brass flying her way so far hasn't bothered her but I know from my previous experience with women shooting all it takes is one piece of hot brass down their blouse and their shooting skill goes south. My son and DIL are now using a Taurus 92 9MM for a house gun. It ejects brass directly to the right away from her face and she is comfortable and confident with it. If she does get a GI type 45 she wants. I'm told a good gunsmith can work on the ejector and extractor to keep ejected brass away from a lefty's face. When ever I get together with my family at the shooting range. My DIL usually shows everybody up with her tight shot groups. She a natural.

My granddaughter, another lefty may have inherited her mother's skill. So far all she has shot is a 22 rifle but she killed and rolled more tin cans than the adult shooters at our last get-together in the desert. Put my GD through a shooting safety class last year. Its cost was money well spent. She learned the shooting basics but the emphasis of the class was safety. My GD wont hesitate to speak up if anybody does anything she perceives as unsafe. A good example, after our last outing in the desert. As I was packing everything up she reminded me I'm supposed to check and be sure the guns are unloaded before putting them in the gun case. She packed up my old Winchester Model 67 single shot 22. After she checked it she removed the bolt before packing it up. She then told me I need to mark the outside of the hard case so I know which direction the muzzle is pointed when I unpack it.

• 1 month later...

My Daughter and I are finally going to get our concealed carry permits. She has always liked my Beretta mod 84. It's a high cap 380. I was going to let her use it until she can afford something of her own. Well last week at the range she shot my brand new ( 1st. time being shot ) Ruger SP101 in 327 Fed. After we were done shooting she offered to take it home with her and clean it for me. I am sure this would be the last time I would have shot it as "my pistol". It has taken me 5+ years to get something in 327. I may have to buy her a SP101 in 357 or give her my Berretta.