Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Rifle For My Daughter

I have a Mauser 98 in 243Win that I have been building up for my daughter. It currently has a Shilen barrel that started life as a heavy varmint barrel, and was turned down. I have never been able to get it to shoot 100 gr Sierra bullets. So, I think that the twist is too slow. I managed to find and latch on to a A&B 257 Roberts barrel that someone cut back to 22", which should be perfect. I currently have the action with the old barrel bedding into a Fajen lightweight stock. But, by darling daughter has told me she wants a "pink" stock, but will take a "psychadelic" colored stock in the place of the pink one. :o

Oh well, I was going to head down to Richards MicroFit next month anyway for a couple of stocks for my new Mini Mausers. I guess I can get an extra one. But this means I can put the barrel on a spare Yugo action I have, and free up another standard length 98 action for me to use.

Here is the rifle as it is now. I will post glaring photos when it is done. :rolleyes:

LightweightRifle6-1.jpg

Don't feel bad Sailormilan2. I am going to build a 308 for my Daughter. It is going to be on a Yugo 24/47 action. She wanted pink also. I talked her into a Rollover in Rosewood from Richards. I always thought that their "Black-widow" would make a good choice for her also. Keep us posted on the progress.

Ralph