Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Mauser Sporter Build Part 1

odies dad

As promised, I have put together a bit of a tutorial on how to build a Mauser sporter.

The action started as a broken stock missing parts barreled VZ24 receiver from IIRC Centerfire systems when they had them really cheap a few years back. The barrel looked like a shotgun bore.

After piecing together other components, this is the action I started with.

402546773.jpg

I had a different barrel and stock on this receiver before, but decided to rebuild it. You can see some of the previous modifications. I like to checker the bolt release.

402546774.jpg

I had 3 scope holes D&T’d. I opted for Weaver bases on this build so I drilled and tapped another hole.

402546837.jpg

This is the Wheeler jig set up.

402546842.jpg

This shows how the bushings hold the tap true. There is a different bushing for drilling the hole that works much the same. The jig will locate the holes in the proper spot for standard bases.

I got an Adams and Bennett F34 280 short chambered barrel from Midway. I used my lathe to polish it up. If you don’t mind more of a satin finish, you can use them as is.

402546771.jpg

Next I blued the barrel. I found that spinning it on the lathe helps some with streaking. I just use cold bluing for this. I have tried several types, but I have had the best luck with the Birchwood Casey paste.

402546777.jpg

Here is what it looks like screwed onto the receiver.

402546789.jpg

I installed a Timney trigger and a Dayton Traiser Mark II safety.

402546834.jpg

402546793.jpg

Pardon the terrible picture. The safety needs to have a small slit cut into the bolt shroud. Easy work with a Dremmel.

I ordered a Boyds Prairie Hunter walnut stock and opted for the laser cut checkering. This is their #2 pattern.

402546807.jpg

402546817.jpg

I really like how the stock looks. The action fit great . I had to notch out for the bolt handle.

402546824.jpg

As I was fitting the bolt handle, I decided that the handle I had on it looked a little short, so I swapped it with another one I had. Both rifles look better this way.

402546827.jpg

Next comes setting the headspace. This is usually the scariest part. I pulled everything apart again except the barrel and mounted it in my action wrench to hold it barrel down.

I stripped the bolt and inserted the GO gauge to see what I was starting with.

402546855.jpg

This is how far the bolt would close.

402546858.jpg

After reaming. To set the head space, turn the reamer a few times, flush and swab out the chamber, inspect with a bore light and retry the GO gauge. Repeat adnauseum until the bolt just closes on the go gauge. Next try it with the NO GO gauge

402546859.jpg

Perfect. The bolt will not close on the NO GO gauge. If it does, you will need to set the barrel back a little until it does not close. It doesn’t take much to go from not enough to too much. Just do a couple turns when you get close to the end.

Next you put all the pieces back together.

402546848.jpg

I added an Intensity 4-12 scope.

402546853.jpg

I have not had a chance to shoot it yet. I will post a range report later.

Thanks to Rod (Tanglewood) for the reamer and for the bolt work. He does a great job.

There were too many pictures to post this all in one shot.

Something else to remember is to put the trigger back in before you bolt the stock on or you will have to tear it apart again. You'd think I would remember to do that after all the times I have had to redo them.

I don't really trust my machining skills.

I can get an A&B barrel that is short chambered and pre threaded for about the same as a blank, and I have never done a full chamber on a lathe.

One of these days I will get brave and try it.

I don't really trust my machining skills.

I can get an A&B barrel that is short chambered and pre threaded for about the same as a blank, and I have never done a full chamber on a lathe.

One of these days I will get brave and try it.

Makes sense. I would start getting your barrels threaded and long chambered. Set the head space in the lathe without the cost of a reamer. You used to be able to get them from shaw, douglas, LW and a few others. I think you will like the results better and they are usually the same price long or short chambered.

Don

Range report

Got a chance to get some fodder loaded and shot today. I am using 139gr Hornaday BTSP over 56.9gr of IMR 4831.

Seemed to shoot very well at 50 yards. Had holes touching once I got it sighted in.

Had a little trouble feeding. I relieved a bit off the lower tip of the extractor and now it feeds fine.

I loaded up another 20 rounds tonight for some future shooting.