Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Military Reamer?

I found a US 30-06 military reamer, 1903 Springfield. I'm building a 30-06 for my son and want to know if this reamer is OK to set head space after I install the barrel?

You'll need go/no go, headspace guages. The reamer is just used to create the chamber, the guages are used to determine the depth of the chamber.

Ken,

I already gave the gauges, Was just wondering if the reamer wouldn't work.

Bob

You'll need go/no go, headspace guages. The reamer is just used to create the chamber, the guages are used to determine the depth of the chamber.

I found a US 30-06 military reamer, 1903 Springfield. I'm building a 30-06 for my son and want to know if this reamer is OK to set head space after I install the barrel?

If you are looking at the one on E-bay, take note that it has a Morse taper on the drive end.

The ad doesn't say weather it is a roughing or finish reamer but I'm making the assumption that it is a rougher because of the Morse taper drive. If it didn't go for too much I was going to bid on it because I can use it in my lathe. Without a lathe, you'd be hard pressed to

make use of that reamer. I think that what you are looking for is a finish reamer.

You got to be careful with used reamers of unknown orgin. I wouldn't use a reamer that I didn't know the history of without having it inspected. And I have seen more reamers ruined by hand chambering that machine chambering. Machines don't go in reverse too easily. Plus all the people that like to hone their reamers. I'd hate to ruin a barrel trying to save a few bucks on a reamer. At least the rental places inspect their reamers or the good ones do. Manson will inspect and sharpen if needed a reamer at a very reasonable price as long as it doesn't need to be reground.

Don