Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Reamer Co-Op Complaint

FC

Hi fellas,

I don't follow the reamer co-op whatsoever. I've gotten a complaint on the co-op, and a request for a new administrator.

What do you fellows see, and what do you want to do?

Who has possession of the reamers? Is all going as it should?

I do not have authority over the reamers, but the co-op is operating from this site.

Tony

Hi fellas,

I don't follow the reamer co-op whatsoever. I've gotten a complaint on the co-op, and a request for a new administrator.

What do you fellows see, and what do you want to do?

Who has possession of the reamers? Is all going as it should?

I do not have authority over the reamers, but the co-op is operating from this site.

Tony

I have been looking into this too, I see there is a Yahoo reamer sharing group that once you are "in" you can join that group. I need a 6.5x55 finish reamer and gauges, so I thought this would work out good, contacted Mike and am sending him a reamer, looks to be a good deal.

More input from members on this topic would be appreciated.

I have never had anything to do with the Co-Op but do have several reamers I was going to throw in the pot.

If there are issues, I would like to know before investing a couple hundred dollars in this.

At this point I'm a totally neutral observer.

Thanx, pacrat

Mike's always bent over backwards to get me my requested reamer on time. It's saved me a butt load of money! That being said, he has volunteered to give up the co-op & I volunteered to take it over (before I knew there was a complaint).

No idea what's going on there.

It's a purely voluntary co-op with 100% of the work being done by one guy. Dunno what there would be to complain about unless you couldn't get your reamer back.

JM2c

This is an open forum.

If the Co-op is run from and affiliated with the Fabulous Flatulant Chicken Sporter Forum.

Then let any complaints be open for forum discussion.

I've never been fond of under the table or behind the back complaints or rumors.

It is impossible to defend/justify a persons actions be they good or not so much from vague innuendo and rumor.

I've used the co-op several times and have been pleased with it. I feel that it is the best thing going for those of us that do our own work. Mike has always responded to me and got what I needed shipped quickly. I can't see why anybody would complain. Mike is pleasant, and quick. No, he may not sleep by his computer waiting for somebody to contact him and it may be a day or two before he gets back to you, but for a man to do this on his own time and not seek reimbursement (that I am aware of); that tells you all you need to know about him. He’s a good man.

Brenden

I have used the Co op several times, and have contributed several reamers and headspace gauges to it. Technically, I believe one can only join by donating a reamer. However, I initially donated 2 sets of headspace gauges and was allowed to join. Though, since then I have donated about 5 reamers and several sets of gauges(maybe more, I've slept since then).

So, I have no complaints.

Well as a Co-op member I get the e-mails and have to express some confusion :blink:

In the order that the mails came into my mailbox there was Mike asking if anyone wanted to take over, then Rob says that but for being a truck driver then Rod volunteers. Then the next

mail is that Mike is handing off to Jonathan because he was the first to volunteer :blink:

The next thing would be to voice some concern about this statement " I have a wonderful machine shop there & will be reestablishing my FFL to do part-time gunsmith work" with regard

to a professional gunsmith having access to we hobbyist's reamers. When we borrow one from the Co-op we are to put a few $ in the kitty for resharpening.

I make the assumption that Jonathan is a fine upstanding person but, I have to voice the

concern too. :huh:

Tinker

I'm not a member of the co-op but I can see problems down the road if the reamers are turned over to a business.

I'd vote vote for Karl to take over the reamer resposibilities.

I sent in my reamer for others in the co-op to use. Not for somebody to "borrow" to chamber a customer’s barrel and acquire personal gain. I don't mind helping somebody out, but I’m not fond of somebody making money off of an item that I sent in in order to have access to these reamers. There will be problems if this happens and everyone will most likely pull their reamer out. I know I will pull mine, but that’s me.

Brenden

Fair enough - I was the first to volunteer because mike said to reply to his personal email & not the co-op so I did so.

Just to put in my 2 cents. I wouldn't use your reamers for any personal business. Most of my work will be FFL transfers & black rifle stuff. My gunsmithing ain't that good to do benchrest rifles for more than hobbiest pursuits. I thought the mention of the machine shop would be a plus as I'll know how to take care of & sharpen your tools better than the average joe. However, I could see how it would cause concern. Although come to think of it, what's to keep me from mis-using the co-op now? lol.

Anyway, I've benefited from the co-op & hope we can keep it up. I'll withdraw my name if folks feel they can't trust me.

OK, now I'm really confused. :blink: As compared to my normal state of confusion.

chasmike aka Mike Case is in charge of the co-op. correct?

FC makes a post regarding vague complaints from un-named source about Mike's handling of the co-op and asking opinions.

Folks jump in left and right in support of Mikes handling of co-op. Not one complaint posted. Even after I urged who ever complained to come forward.

Then come the posts saying Mike is looking for replacement.

I'm curious as to Mike's reason for wanting to no longer handle co-op.

Personal? If so it is nobodies business, especially mine as an as of yet non co-op member.

I'm a member of other forums as are other here. Both gun and machining related. From time to time the Co-op here is mentioned in High regard on those forums and I've never heard a disparaging word about it.

Here's the orginal email with mike's address redacted. Sounds like he no longer is building & if there was a complaint it probably ended his interest.

Well I have been running the co-op for a few years now and it has been a pleasure working with all the members. I haven't built a rifle in a few years and I think it's time to turn it over to one of you guys.

It is not all that time consuming but I have so many irons in the fire that I feel like some one else who has a little time on there hands might do a better job and actually enjoy managing it.

If you'd like to volunteer please let me know.

E-mail me at my address. *****@*****.com

Thanks,

Mike

When I saw the email I replied personally to him as he requested in the email. That's why the co-op members didn't see my email. Anyway, hopefully you're a little less confused now.

As far as the complaint goes - I don't know what there is to complain about unless you had a reamer lost or you just enjoy drama. :)

Hey Guys it's good to talk to all here on the co-op board. It's been so long since I've been on the site I had to dig around to find my login. If I have missed a few posts directed at me here I apologize. Co-op members always contact me either at my personal e-mail or thru the yahoo reamer group page so I haven't been very good at checking back here to see whats going on.

I have to thank Tony and the guys with the knowledge of sporterizing and gunsmithing and the willingness to share that wisdom. It helped me create a few rifles that make my hunting experience even more rewarding.

Haven't built a rifle in 3 or 4 years and I've just continued to manage the reamer co-op because I made a commitment to do so. Me handing off the management to someone else is my way of linking the co-op to someone who is active on the sporterizing site and active in the reamer co-op.

I thank everyone for the kind words. I really can't remember how long I have been doing this (Tony may be able to look back and see).

For the most part all the guys in the co-op are stand up guys and it has been my pleasure to deal with them and help them out. I feel sure that i know who the complaint came from and it was expected.

I can either send all the tools back to the original owners (at my expense) or the members can come to some sort of consensus on who I should hand it off to. The co-op has had a good long run and has helped a lot of guys and I would hope we could keep it going.

I asked for volunteers to respond to my personal e-mail and Jonathan Wilson (rustviper) was the first to do so. He has been a good member and I take him at his word that he will not be using co-op reamers to benefit his gunsmithing business. The members of course have the final say so on this decision and I will abide by whatever they decide.

Thanks guys,

Mike

A suggestion :D

But first a hearty THANK YOU!!! to Mike for doing such a good job these last few years.

Things are a little hot and heavy right now and for me the 'first come first served' aspect

was a bit of an issue, so how about over the next few weeks anyone interested throw their

hat into the ring and we members take a vote. We could let Tony decide any ties.

Anyone else have a suggestion?

Tinker

That sounds like a good idea.

I do NOT want the job at this time because I have too many things going on already.

I also would like to thank Mike for the great job he has done the past few years.

Return the reamers to the owners and keep a database on who has what. The owner can mail out the reamer and inspect it upon return. Dave Manson from Manson Reamers offered to do a maintenance program on the reamers for little to no cost as long as they didn't need regrinding. Mike should have the info from Dave. Just an idea, since I am not a member and really shouldn't have a say or vote in the matter, but the reason I never joined was I didn't know if the reamers were properly maintained and inspected. But I am of the cautious type and would never buy or use a reamer of unknown history.

Don

I never had a problem with Mike, in fzct he is great to work with. I asked for something and get it. As someone using it for business. Use, that is whst i have problem. But if a person did the same thing as Mike did with the group, i am fine with that.

Rob

I don't have any reamers in the CO-OP, so my opinion really doesn't amount to squat...

Managing 50+ reamers and their associated gauges is a bit of work: answering emails, maintaining a database, checking the web frequently, and making multiple trips to the post office. I wouldn't want to do it, especially for FREE.

If someone is willing to do it, let them have at it. And God bless them. As long as that person is effectively maintaining the inventory, I wouldn't be that concerned if they made occasional use of the reamers for business. I'd expect them to foot the bill for any re-sharpening or repair fees based on their use. There's nothing preventing a CO-OP member from doing that very thing right now.

I've always been impressed that the CO-OP members were able to make this work. Bravo-Zulu to ChasMike for his dedication and follow-through. Keeping the inventory centralized is probably the best way of managing it; too many hands in the cookie jar complicates things. If you've got someone willing to manage it and not utilize it for business use.... great. If not, sometimes you take what you can get.

As stated, I'm an outsider looking in. My "vote" doesn't really count. I just don't see what all the fuss is about.

Return the reamers to the owners and keep a database on who has what. The owner can mail out the reamer and inspect it upon return. Dave Manson from Manson Reamers offered to do a maintenance program on the reamers for little to no cost as long as they didn't need regrinding. Mike should have the info from Dave. Just an idea, since I am not a member and really shouldn't have a say or vote in the matter, but the reason I never joined was I didn't know if the reamers were properly maintained and inspected. But I am of the cautious type and would never buy or use a reamer of unknown history.

Don

I suspect this would be the death of the co-op.