Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Hunting Rifle Safety?

jwolf4

I came across a Mauser with a side mount and a scope. The bolt has been modified and the safety also. It's not the regular Mauser safety; this one only has two set places. My problem is that I cannot figure out a way to disassemble the bolt for cleaning. Can someone tell me what kind of safety this is and how to go about taking it apart? I've been told on another forum that I have a hunting rifle safety. The SAFE position is at a 45 degree angle or so. Never goes past that spot.

img6968w.jpg

img6967s.jpg

1. Set the safety to "fire".

2. Get a paper clip and unfold it partway (or use a small nail).

3. Put the forward edge of the cocking piece bottom against the edge of an old table or bench, with the bolt vertical and locking lugs down.

4. Push the bolt body down, and look for a hole on the cocking piece bottom.

5. Shove the unfolded part of the paper clip into the hole, let the bolt return back, locking the paper clip against the shroud.

6. Depress the plunger on the left side of the shroud and turn the shroud/cocking piece assembly counter clock-wise.

Now, if there's not a hole, skip 2 and 5, and do 3, 4, and 6 simultaneously.

Watch out that you don't pinch any skin.

Alternative to the Gun Nutty method.

5. Shove the unfolded part of the paper clip into the hole, let the bolt return back, locking the paper clip against the shroud.

If there isn't a hole simply pull cocking piece back a little farther until there is a slight space between it and the rear of the shroud. Slip a dime [or if cheap like me a penny] between CP and shroud and relax tension until it is captured.

JM2c