Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Took My Rugers To The Range Today

rdm1962

Today was a awesome day as far as the weather was concerned. I needed to do something outside so I went to the range. I took my Ruger Red Hawk in 44 Mag. and SP101 in 327 Federal. The Red Hawk has had a trigger job and porting done. The single action pull is 3# and dbl action is 8#. My little SP 101 is in need of a trigger job. I didn't have scale with me but it was really noticeable after shooting the Red Hawk. I already looked on Midways site and will be ordering a spring kit. I also found a few u tube videos on stoning the trigger group. I'll let you know how it works out. By the way I love this 327 Federal cartridge. This SP 101 will be my carry gun.

post-3785-134541610846_thumb.jpg

post-3785-134541612466_thumb.jpg

post-3785-134541613946_thumb.jpg

I've always liked the handy size of the sp101 but every one I've ever handled has had a horrible trigger pull.

The GP-100 is slightly larger but the trigger is generaly a huge improvement over the 101 and the Redhawk is even better!

I haven't heard of SP101 or .327. Is it very old?

The SP101 has been around for for awhile. It has been chambered in 38 special and 357 mag. They came in 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 inch barrels. But only in a 5 round cylinder. The 327 federal has been out for 5 or 6 years. A 115 grain bullet has 85% of the energy of a 125 grain 357. With a 6 round cylinder. The SP101 can handle more more pressure because it has a 357 frame. I load mine at max to the latest Hodgon manual.

I was really surprised how much stronger the Redhawk 44 is compared to the S&W 44. My shooting bud's Redhawk handled the monster Buffalo Bore ammo. If I remember right, it was a 265gr hard cast bullet. On the same outing two shots out of the same box into my S&W Model 29 and it started coming loose. Had trouble rotating and opening the cylinder. Almost all the screws and the cylinder push rod had to be tightened. Found out later Buffalo Bore says not to use it in Smith and Wessons. Fortunately it didn't do any damage to my S&W. Had I shot it a third time I may have caused some major damage. The Buffalo Bore 44 mag ammo isn't exactly pleasant to shoot. I'd sure feel confident though with it in bear country but only if I had it in a revolver or rifle that can handle the deadly powerful load. I've kind of had my eyes open for a deal on a Redhawk since. I don't care for the Super Redhawk. Although it is supposedly stronger it is simply an ugly gun to me. Appearing to have a sleeved barrel.

I was really surprised how much stronger the Redhawk 44 is compared to the S&W 44.

I've kind of had my eyes open for a deal on a Redhawk since. I don't care for the Super Redhawk. Although it is supposedly stronger it is simply an ugly gun to me. Appearing to have a sleeved barrel.

I've had my blued 7 1/2" Redhawk for over 20 years and it's still locks up tight as the day I got it. :)

If I could do it over the only thing I'd change would be a shorter 5 1/2" barrel.

• 2 weeks later...

I got an e-mail notice from Midway. The Wolff spring kit for my SP 101 were back in stock. I ordered it and 2 speed loaders. This morning I got a deal on a Don Houm "1st. agent" left handed CCW holster. All I need now is to take the Missouri concealed carry class. That will be on Sept 29th.