Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Rent My Range?

FC

I believe your last little 2 word sentence summed it up.

In this litigious suit happy society we live in. How many extra millions in liability insurance do you carry? And how much is that CYA insurance gonna cost once the underwriter learns it is for a gun range?

Renting out such a facility means a business. You ready for OSHA inspections? Shooting nasty lead bullets means EPA gonna be haz-matting your hide.

JM2c

I would say bad idea. I plan to build a range on my property. A fellow that works with my Wife asked if hed be able to use it.

I found out from another acquaintance that he was using another friends property to shoot and he set their land on fire using tracers. You cant trust people.

Tom

I realize the desire to help promote a safe gun culture is important and I applaud the idea but has a private citizen renting out his private shooting range, I would have to say “Bad Idea”

Its my understanding if you charge someone that constitutes a business; that means possible zoning issues, insurance and other issues; personally I wouldn’t want the liability.

I was thinking about renting my range out on CraigsList for 10 bucks an hour, with 5 bucks for an additional shooter. I haven't done it though because of fear of the risk involved. Bad idea?

Tony the liability insurance included with your fire/home-owners insurance most likely unless you're paying extra will exclude business activities. Talk with your insurance person first then a good lawyer. Possibly you could cover your ass by incorporating but that is a question best answered by a lawyer. My guess that unless the range is constantly supervised the insurance cost will be prohibitive. You may also have state, city etc regs to follow like public restroom, handicap access, dust proof parking etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I would only let people I trust shot at my range, if I had one and You should ask THEM to sign a release.

It is the world we live in a lawyer under every rock. If a fella shot himself,he may not sue you but how about his wife or kids?

karl

I would only let people I trust shot at my range, if I had one and You should ask THEM to sign a release.

It is the world we live in a lawyer under every rock. If a fella shot himself,he may not sue you but how about his wife or kids?

karl

In my previous life with my X-wife we wrote up some liability releases for parents to sign before any of our kid's friends used our pool or trampoline. A few months later I showed the release to a lawyer relative. He laughed and said it is not worth the paper it is written on. The first thing he said is the parents can't sign away child's privilege to collect damages and another example was a spouse and children suing for loss of income from his or her partner or parent.

My X and I were foster parents and my step daughters were extremely attractive. One of the girls was so pretty she was recruited in a shopping center for a small part in a movie. With all the kids under roof and my X and I working. Our place was like a kid magnet.

We upped our liability coverage, sold the trampoline and did as much as possible to discourage guests using our pool.