Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Rape Of Nanking By The Japanese

FC

A few years ago I saw a special on the History Channel. The Japs were quite disgusting. Worse of all bayoneting babies in front of their mothers. They interviewed a Jap officer that was there. His comment about the babies were "people die in wars".

The japs,were as a rule,far far crueler then the Germans and they, the japs, got away with it.

The stories some of the old marines told of the japs were unreal.

karl

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_war_crimes#War_crimes_trials

"Soon after the war, the Allied powers indicted 25 persons as Class-A war criminals, and 5,700 persons were indicted as Class-B or Class-C war criminals by Allied criminal trials. Of these, 984 were initially condemned to death, 920 were actually executed, 475 received life sentences, 2,944 received some prison terms, 1,018 were acquitted, and 279 were not sentenced or not brought to trial...."

"Between 1946 and 1951, the United States, the United Kingdom, China, the Soviet Union, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, France, the Netherlands and the Philippines all held military tribunals to try Japanese indicted for Class B and Class C war crimes. Some 5,600 Japanese personnel were prosecuted in more than 2,200 trials outside Japan.... More than 4,400 Japanese personnel were convicted and about 1,000 were sentenced to death."

The German numbers per Wikipedia weren't as large, but were still significant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_war_crimes#War_crimes_trials

"Soon after the war, the Allied powers indicted 25 persons as Class-A war criminals, and 5,700 persons were indicted as Class-B or Class-C war criminals by Allied criminal trials. Of these, 984 were initially condemned to death, 920 were actually executed, 475 received life sentences, 2,944 received some prison terms, 1,018 were acquitted, and 279 were not sentenced or not brought to trial...."

"Between 1946 and 1951, the United States, the United Kingdom, China, the Soviet Union, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, France, the Netherlands and the Philippines all held military tribunals to try Japanese indicted for Class B and Class C war crimes. Some 5,600 Japanese personnel were prosecuted in more than 2,200 trials outside Japan.... More than 4,400 Japanese personnel were convicted and about 1,000 were sentenced to death."

The German numbers per Wikipedia weren't as large, but were still significant.

TRUE But notice that the emperor was left alone. I studied Japanese history and despite the whitewash, nothing happened in Japan if the emperor did not want it it. He should have hung.

karl

The japs,were as a rule,far far crueler then the Germans and they, the japs, got away with it.

The stories some of the old marines told of the japs were unreal.

karl

According to what I saw on the History Channel. The Germans, Japan's ally even if it was done strictly for a show. Intervened on behalf of the Chinese to end the slaughter.

TRUE But notice that the emperor was left alone. I studied Japanese history and despite the whitewash, nothing happened in Japan if the emperor did not want it it. He should have hung.

karl

Saving the Emperor's ass was an under the table deal made with Truman to get the Japs to surrender "unconditionally". Supposedly and depending on whom is telling the story. It was the start of the discord between MacArthur and Truman. I can't remember where I heard or read it but MacArthur was furious the Emperor didn't hang, retained his position and continued to live as royalty in the palace.

Incredible how evil humans can be if they set their minds to it.

Agreed!! I worked briefly with a Japanese person that grew up and was educated in Japan. His side of the story especially on Japanese expansion into China, Korea and later into Indonesia and Indo-China. Wasn't any different than the European powers did, he claimed. The Brits, French and Dutch had all colonized parts of Asia under the guise of bringing civilization but it was really the raw materials and near slave like labor they wanted. How much more terrible were the Brits mowing down Africans armed with spears and crude swords with Gatling Guns and artilary. My Japanese co-worker claimed the Rape of Nanking was greatly exaggerated and he firmly believed the book was a hoax. I don't believe it was a hoax but I'm sure my co-worker was educated into believing it.