Military Firearm Restoration Corner

.22, .380, And Mosad

FC

I saw a short video where a guy claimed the number one and two most effective self defense rounds were the .380 and .22! I'm skeptical, loving the .357 Sig. He mentioned Mosad using .22s, and Paul said something once about Israel using .22 caliber, so I looked it up: http://www.tactical-life.com/online/tactical-weapons/israeli-mossad-22-lrs/

I can't speak for using a .22. I think a 380 is a good choice. I have a Beretta model 84. It holds 13 rounds and can handle hotter loads than most. I load mine to 9mm velocities without ever an issue. Two other pistols that can handle hotter loads are the PPK and Colt Mustang.

Ralph

A co-worker many years ago claimed to have taken more deer with the .22LR than all other calibers combined. I believed him then, and still do today. He carried a .22 pistol in his pack when he hiked, and when opportunity arose, he took advantage. What he did was not legal. He was also very strategic, and opportunities had to be ideal; the fact that he did so much hiking increased the number of ideal situations for him. I would never say -- even based-on his success with the .22LR -- that the round is a great deer cartridge.

The article on the Beretta 70/71 and its use as a tactical weapon is deceptive: it was used (as described in the article) as an offensive weapon, and it was used under rather ideal situations. Stalking a target, catching them off-guard, and firing a weapon a point-blank range into vital areas is not defensive. Defense implies unknowns, and could mean a well-armed, moving target, with significant distance.

I would never want to underestimate the killing power of the .22LR or even the .25 ACP; both are more than capable of killing when hitting vital areas at close range. I would be uncomfortable with both in a less than ideal confrontation.

I'll agree with that claim that the .380 ACP offers more energy and more damage potential than the .22LR, all in a fairly compact pistol.

The 22lr used with a silencer is pretty quiet. CIA, Massad, and other covert agents usually get a point blank head shot if they need to dispatch someone, so that would be quite effective. Personally a 9mm is marginal for a running body shot. The 380 is available in a slim, more easily concealable pistol than say a 44 mag.

An 88mag will shoot through schools. (Johnny Dangerously)