Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Here Is The Problems With My Ex Gunsmith.

spec4 e4

I found a local gunsmith in my area, so I called up and talked to the smith. Really nice guy. So I took my two projects that I was working on to have the one barrel rethread to SR and the other barrel index. I took the receivers too. This is what the projects are: 38 Turk with a 30-06 barrel, rethead the barrel and index it to receiver and the 2nd was a Yugo M48 with a 243 Win barrel. Barrel need to be index to receiver. So after waiting over four months:O. This is what I got back. The 243 win barrel was rethreads to the Turk 38, and the 30-06 barrel was index to the Yugo M48. Was not a happy camper. So I told him I will be back and went home. I found my last 38 Turk receiver but the 243 will not screw in the receiver. So, I want back and give him the new receiver so he can rethread the 30-06 barrel so it will fit the new receiver. So I got a 243 Win on a 38 Turk now and have a extra Yugo M48 receiver. That blows my next project of a 270 Rem. out of the water since I had to used the 38 Turk.

Would you made him replace the 243 barrel and rethread the 30-06 or did what I did? I had everything set up for the Yugo, stock, trigger, safety and the only thing I had to do was to lap the lug, true the bolt face and a new bolt handle on it.

Rob

Sorry to hear about that. Did you get a "work order" from him? If so what did it say. If he didn't follow what he the directions then it's his fault. He needs to fix his mistake. If the directions were followed then he did as directed. Ralph

Sorry to hear about that. Did you get a "work order" from him? If so what did it say. If he didn't follow what he the directions then it's his fault. He needs to fix his mistake. If the directions were followed then he did as directed. Ralph

Work order states that 30-06 barrel goes on 38 Turkish Mauser and the 243 goes on the Yugo Mauser. It is the smith's fault and he lost my safety to boot.

Rob

I would hold him accountable for his mistake. I would explain how bad it could be for his business reputation if he doesn't correct his mistake. Ralph

I agree with Ralph. My guess because of the length of time the job took. He probably farmed the job out. The gunsmith that took your money has the responsibility to fix the problem.

I agree with Ralph. My guess because of the length of time the job took. He probably farmed the job out. The gunsmith that took your money has the responsibility to fix the problem.

He took my other last Turk receiver and the 30-06 barrel and going to have it retreaded. It just threw a monkey wrench in the works is what made me alittle pissed, being sick did not help it either. I have a Yugo stock and now I need a Reg LR stock. Everything else will fit.

I figure I use the "extra" receiver for a 6.5 Grendel that is if I can found a barrel short chamber for it.

Rob