Military Firearm Restoration Corner

LIBERAL Shoots Sub MOA Group

flaco

This will be pretty short, as I'm pooped, and have a couple of rifles to clean.

I shot a sub MOA group--.8"--with Project #2 today.

She's 6.5x55, bedded 1909 action with rear pillar, Lothar Walther barrel, Mauser two stage military trigger, stocked in Claro with full length fiddleback, and a BSA Contender scope.

It's a four shot group, as I have yet to replace the Argie follower, and the magazine doesn't like that fifth round. I expect a Swede follower will solve the problem.

Round was the Sierra 140 HPBT, but I'll have to go back and check my notes for the powder and load.

What makes this amazing is that I, well, am a terrible shot. I have a life long flinch, drink too much coffee, and in general have a hard time hitting the broadside of a barn.

A whole lot of this success is due to MFRC.

I wouldn't have undertaken these projects without MFRC.

Everybody has had good advice, but I'd like to single out z1r, because of his selfless dedication to this site, answering even the most imbecilic questions.

With little disdain--although he used to get testy sometimes--and almost always in battle with the keyboard, as he doesn't touch type.

Anyway, thanks to all.

flaco

Look, Z, I had breakfast this morning with an English prof and published author who hunts and pecks too.

If you do it enough, it really cuts down on the hunt part.

LOL.

And you can amend that title of you want; it should read "English Major Liberal Shoots Sub MOA Group."

LOL.

Do you think this is a first?

What can I say, I suppose I'm just a pecker!

Super Job! It is always nice to say you shot a small group. But, its so much sweeter when you can say that you built the gun yourself too! Even beter when it looks as good as it shoots!

I always enjoy trotting out my home brewed rifles at the range and out shooting the guy next to me who has the latest, and usually most expensive, of everything shooting related with him.

Congrats Flaco!

Feels good doesn't it?

And I've got to admit, Z is one hell of a guy! I don't think I'd of gotten this far with my projects without his advice as well.

If you want to solve that feeding problem, order a Swedish M38 follower and spring from Numrich. It costs like $16 delivered. My M48 wasn't fond of 6.5x55's either until I swapped in a Swedish follower. It was a drop in fit, but you'll have to adjust the rear of the follower to allow the bolt to slide over it. Lestwise, you'll have a last round bolt stop feature added in as well. Pretty easy stuff though.

Congratulations on a sucessful finished product!

Jason