Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Mauser Stock

fish2keel

Hey guys,

So I have a k98 mauser that was sportized with a wood stock but I never really liked the way it looked. So after alot of though I decided to rebarrel the rifle in .260 remington and then get a bold trigger put on and now im at the point that I need a stock. Im looking for a synthetic stock that is light weight but I would prefer it not to be to pricy. I have looked at the choate stock and also the fajen stocks at midwayusa. The one stock I was looking for was a butler creek but Ive read that they stopped making mauser stocks and I can't seem to find anyone that has one.

Anyway I wanted you guys opinion on a good light weight synthetic stock. Also I don't want a mcmillan or anything like that. I already have one on my .308 and am just trying to make a light weight durable mauser.

Thanks guys in advance!!!

F2k

I was a big synthetic fan for a long time, but I really like the laminated stocks now.

You can get a pepper-laminate from Boyds:

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Classic-Replacement-Stocks-for-a-Mauser-Rifles-s/45.htm

Finished stocks are $92, unfinished are $69. The Royal Jacaranda stock simply looks crazy! The Classic that Boyds offers has very clean lines.

Laminates are strong and stable. Also, as it's a wood stock, tweaking things and modifications are much simpler compared to synthetics. I'm happy with the synthetics I have, but I won't be getting any more.

I will second Gun nuttys sentements.

I have used a few synthetic stocks and they are OK, but the wood and laminants look much better. For the price, you can't beat a Boyds stock. The laminants will hold up just as well as the synthetics.

I have used the Midway /Fajen, Butler creek, Hogue, and Ramline synthetics. The Buttler creek and the Hogue are my favorites, but for the money, the Fajen is a better buy. I will not get another Ramline. I have seen the Choate, but am not a fan of the blind magazine. That would be a good choice if you don't have bottom metal.

I prefer a wood stock.

I have used many of the synthetic, laminated and standard wood stocks on my Mauser builds, and I really like my Hogue overmolded on my 22-250 because of the feel. The laminated often are a bit heavy, and the lightest stock that I have is my old Corelite synthetic that is the forerunner of the Fajen synthetic, and it's a bit clunky in the wrist, but is comfortable to shoot. Just keep your eyes open for a deal, watch ebay, gunbroker and others.

Spiris

Hey guys,

So I have a k98 mauser that was sportized with a wood stock but I never really liked the way it looked. So after alot of though I decided to rebarrel the rifle in .260 remington and then get a bold trigger put on and now im at the point that I need a stock. Im looking for a synthetic stock that is light weight but I would prefer it not to be to pricy. I have looked at the choate stock and also the fajen stocks at midwayusa. The one stock I was looking for was a butler creek but Ive read that they stopped making mauser stocks and I can't seem to find anyone that has one.

Anyway I wanted you guys opinion on a good light weight synthetic stock. Also I don't want a mcmillan or anything like that. I already have one on my .308 and am just trying to make a light weight durable mauser.

Thanks guys in advance!!!

F2k

I have not used the Ramline, though I have looked at them. I have had a Choate, and I agree with others posters about the blind magazine feature................I did not like it. However, it was the lightest of the synthetic socks that I have used.

I have 3 of the Butler Creek style stocks. I prefer them over the others. I like their style and looks, though they are a bit heavier than the others. They have a check piece with shadow line and raised molded checkering. They have more of a classical style appearance. Though their forends are a little more flexible than I like. But that can be fixed.

Butler Creek made them in two styles. Commercially cut/molded and Military 98 cut/molded. They also made them for the Remington version of the Commercially made 98..............the Remington 798. I believe they also made them for Charles Daly when Charles Daly was importing the Commercially made Mausers under their logo.

Try doing a search on Gunbroker and eBay for them. You can often pick them up fairly cheaply. I got my last two from CDNN Sports, but they are now out of stock.

Wow guys thanks for the responses!

After writing my first post I began throwing the idea of going with a wood stock. It is a weight thing for this rifle since Im wanting it to be as light as possible.

Anyway I have a stock that came with the rifle. Its end cap says "Bishop" on it. I dont know anything about the stock but I do like the look of it. The problem with it is though its contoured for a military step barrel and Im ordering an Adams and Bennet f34 barrel. Do yall think the military step contour will be to big when I place the f34 contour barrel into the stock?

Also the end where the black tip is on the stock has the markings from the barrel ring being on there. I am not going to put a barrel ring on the new barrel and was wondering what the best way to fix the markings on the stock will be?

Thanks guys for the help! Im getting excited about this mauser build

You'll have to get the new barrel installed to see how things will fit in the stock. My guess is the new barrel will clean out most of the old barrel channel. If the gap is too big on the black (ebony?) fore end tip, you could use epoxy/bedding compound tinted black to fill it in.

Bishop made nice stocks. If you're happy with the fit and look, why mess with a good thing? You could always eliminate any white-line spacers to modernize things a bit.

If you are looking for light weight, that A&B barrel is not going to please you. They are a "heavy sporter" contour. The inexpensive Brownells barrels are lighter by a considerable margin. On the other hand, most of the A&B barrels that I have installed have shot quite well for my customers.

Clemson

If you are looking for light weight, that A&B barrel is not going to please you. They are a "heavy sporter" contour. The inexpensive Brownells barrels are lighter by a considerable margin. On the other hand, most of the A&B barrels that I have installed have shot quite well for my customers.

Clemson

Clemson,

Really now? The f34 contour is still considered heavy sporter? I was not aware of this. Ill check out the Brownells barrels.

Thanks

F2k

Clemson,

Really now? The f34 contour is still considered heavy sporter? I was not aware of this. Ill check out the Brownells barrels.

Thanks

F2k

IIRC, the muzzle diameter for a commercial Mauser (Mk X, etc) is about .550 inch or so. The Adams and Bennett F34 contour has a muzzle diameter of about .650".

Clemson,

Thanks

F2k

IIRC, the muzzle diameter for a commercial Mauser (Mk X, etc) is about .550 inch or so. The Adams and Bennett F34 contour has a muzzle diameter of about .650".

So the Adams and Bennett will be heavier than the military step barrel then im assuming?

Anyone have any information on a JC higgens 50 barrel chambered in 30-06? There is one ive got my eyes on(even though I don't really want a 30-06 round).

Thanks guys

F2k

Anyone have any information on a JC higgens 50 barrel chambered in 30-06? There is one ive got my eyes on(even though I don't really want a 30-06 round).

Then why get it? Get something you want. You know you have a hankering for the .35 Whelen and 6.5'06. Shaw has unthreaded barrels in YOUR caliber for $135 ($170 threaded)....

Then why get it? Get something you want. You know you have a hankering for the .35 Whelen and 6.5'06. Shaw has unthreaded barrels in YOUR caliber for $135 ($170 threaded)....

No kidding. I will have to take a look into those barrels.

I like the 30-06 round, its just i want something for both predators(wolf) and also dall sheep and deer. Thats why Ive been looking at the .260 remington.

I was wondering if I could have yalls opinion since im getting ready to order my barrel this week.

Im having a tough choice picking my caliber. I was leaning more towards .260 remington then I got to thinking about .270 as well. I don't reload at the moment and am not sure when I will reload. I'm wanting a round to buck the wind and take game from wolf to sheep to caribou and deer.

My action is a k98 action. Right now it is chambered in 8mm but I want something else than 8mm and since its getting rebarreled why not change the caliber.

Thanks guys for the help

F2k

.270 Win is good. So is the .260 Rem. Both kill things very dead.

To me, the .260 Rem, 6.5x55, 6.5x54, and 6.5x57 all scream "lightweight rifle".

The .270 will probably feed better (without alteration) from a stock Mauser magazine; its taper is close to the original 8mm case.

The .260 is based on the .308 Win, and has less body taper than the 8mm. It's also a shorter round. .308 family cartridges sometimes require some magazine/follower/rail work.

The 6.5x55 will require no work to function from an 8mm magazine, and is also commercially available.

.270 Win is good. So is the .260 Rem. Both kill things very dead.

To me, the .260 Rem, 6.5x55, 6.5x54, and 6.5x57 all scream "lightweight rifle".

The .270 will probably feed better (without alteration) from a stock Mauser magazine; its taper is close to the original 8mm case.

The .260 is based on the .308 Win, and has less body taper than the 8mm. It's also a shorter round. .308 family cartridges sometimes require some magazine/follower/rail work.

The 6.5x55 will require no work to function from an 8mm magazine, and is also commercially available.

The 6.5x55 seems to be a favorite for a long action if wanton to go with a 6.5 round.

If chosen between .260 and 6.5, which would be best? I've read there both ballistically similar.

Also would the contour be best to have f14 or f34?

The 6.5x55, 6.5x57, and .260 Rem (and the 6.5 Creedmoor as well) are the same in terms of ballistics. The difference between each will be the "vehicle" carrying them.

The .260 Rem and 6.5 Creedmoor are well suited to "short" action rifles, specifically rifles designed around cartridges with a 2" case (.308 Win, .243 Win, 7mm'08, etc.).

The 6.5x55 and 6.5x57 were designed from the beginning to work through 93-98 Mauser actions.

I like the 6.5x55, especially in my 96 Swede. It's accurate and gentle. I also like the looks of a 140-160 spire point/boat tail seated out to maximum length )without touching the lands) in the magazine. It's a graceful, beautiful cartridge. It, or the similar 6x57, would be my choice for building a standard 98 Mauser rifle.

If I came across a good deal on a .260 Rem in a 98, set up correctly to feed and function, I would readily grab it and be quite happy as well.

The F-14 is about as close as your are going to get to the Douglas sporter profiles. The F-14 only comes in 21" though:

http://www.midwayusa.com/Content/Legacy/barrel_barrel_blank.htm

My guess is that you will save a pound between the two barrels. I'd probably go with the F-14.

The 6.5x55, 6.5x57, and .260 Rem (and the 6.5 Creedmoor as well) are the same in terms of ballistics. The difference between each will be the "vehicle" carrying them.

The .260 Rem and 6.5 Creedmoor are well suited to "short" action rifles, specifically rifles designed around cartridges with a 2" case (.308 Win, .243 Win, 7mm'08, etc.).

The 6.5x55 and 6.5x57 were designed from the beginning to work through 93-98 Mauser actions.

I like the 6.5x55, especially in my 96 Swede. It's accurate and gentle. I also like the looks of a 140-160 spire point/boat tail seated out to maximum length )without touching the lands) in the magazine. It's a graceful, beautiful cartridge. It, or the similar 6x57, would be my choice for building a standard 98 Mauser rifle.

If I came across a good deal on a .260 Rem in a 98, set up correctly to feed and function, I would readily grab it and be quite happy as well.

The F-14 is about as close as your are going to get to the Douglas sporter profiles. The F-14 only comes in 21" though:

http://www.midwayusa.com/Content/Legacy/barrel_barrel_blank.htm

My guess is that you will save a pound between the two barrels. I'd probably go with the F-14.

I like the .260 but I don't want to have feed issues. I don't mind that it needs work but I can see the problem with the weight as well.

I need to figure out the ballastics on the 21" barrel and the 6.5x55 in factory ammo.

I like a 20-21" barrel for non-magnums. Nothing to apologize for. The "classic" 6.5 is the 6.5x54 MS, and no one complains about its compact 18" barrel.

gun nutty I was wondering if I could get your opinion.

I was reading the reviews online and also on the midway website on the f14 and f34 barrels in 6.5x55 and many have said that the f34 barrels are shooting more accurately than the f14 barrels. Would you have any personal experience with either or even both? The price difference isn't much, I just don't want to get a barrel that doesn't shoot generally well. I know this isn't going to be a bench rifle but its not ment to be either

thanks