Military Firearm Restoration Corner

I Need Help With Case Head Separation.

rdm1962

I took my Marlin 336 (30-30) to the range this evening. When ejecting a fired round the case head separated. Anyone know a trick to remove the body of the case from the chamber? Thankfully it's needed in 4 weeks for Deer season.

Thanks Ralph

If you can remove the bolt from the action:

- Run a long cleaning rod from the rear of the action and let the front of it exit the muzzle.

- thread an over-sized bronze brush (35 caliber?) onto the rod

- slowly pull the rod and brush back

That should grab the mouth of the case and pull it back.

I took my Marlin 336 (30-30) to the range this evening. When ejecting a fired round the case head separated. Anyone know a trick to remove the body of the case from the chamber? Thankfully it's needed in 4 weeks for Deer season.

Thanks Ralph

The 336 is a lever action, right? Run your empty cleaning rod down from the muzzle & with the bolt open, screw a cleaning brush on it that`s a little bigger then the case & pull it into the case. Know push it back out into the open bolt. The case will come out with it. Then unscrew the brush that`s in the case from the rod.

I would occasionally get case head separations in my 22 Hornet Contender. Brought it to the gunsmith the first time and this is what he did: Take a 1/4" tap, screw it into the case, grab with pliers, came right out. Now I keep a 1/4" x 20 tap in my range box. Of course, 30 cal would require a bigger tap than 1/4", but otherwise, that's what I would do.

I would occasionally get case head separations in my 22 Hornet Contender. Brought it to the gunsmith the first time and this is what he did: Take a 1/4" tap, screw it into the case, grab with pliers, came right out. Now I keep a 1/4" x 20 tap in my range box. Of course, 30 cal would require a bigger tap than 1/4", but otherwise, that's what I would do.

I had the same problem with a couple boxes of commercial reloads for my TC 223.

I used the same fix also.