Military Firearm Restoration Corner

30-378 Weatherby Mag

Guest ~DEVO~

Quick question.

Which MAuser and/or Enfield action would be able to be fitted for the 30-378 Weatherby Mag round?

Or shall I just forget about it?

Devo,

The 30-378 is a monster. It's also overbore to the extreme. Short of a finding a true commercial magnum, it won't fit a Mauser action. You could use an Enfield, its a steep hill to climb to convert one over from military form.

You can buy a 300 Weatherby at Wal-mart for $300-$500 and have all the 30 caliber power you need.

I'd just forget about it.

Absolutely.

The 30-378 is actually much longer and a good bit wider than a 300 Win Mag.

As I say, its a monster. I've seen loaded cartridges and compared them side to side with a 300 Win Mag. The 30-378 is based on the 378 Weatherby cartridge, a cartridge that shares its case with the 460 Weatherby - all monsters!

I don't think a 30-378 Weatherby is doable on a standard length Mauser and if it were, I doubt the cost would be justifiable.

I really think you'd be better off looking at something else. There's no flies on the 300 Win Mag, although its still kinda hit or miss whether or not you'll be able to properly convert your Mauser over. If you've never try a magnum conversion, it can be a frustrating experience.

I would encourage you to look around a little more. And if you have your heart set on a 30-378, look around for a used Weatherby rifle. I'll almost guarantee that you could pick up a good 30-378 that's probably not had two boxes of shells through for a lot less than you could convert a VZ-24 for if you look hard enough.

Jason

Really?  Harder than makeing a 300 win mag on a mauser action?

5721[/snapback]

Yes. For starters, it takes a lot more work to get the Enfield to look like a sporter. The .300 WM on a mauser is a slam dunk. On the enfield, for the Weatherby rim to fit you need a P14 bolt.

Quick question.

Which MAuser and/or Enfield action would be able to be fitted for the 30-378 Weatherby Mag round?

Or shall I just forget about it?

5669[/snapback]

Since you have offered the forget option let me add that if this is your first project try a simpler task first. After you can say been there and done that you may want to take a look at the complicated and expensive 30/378 project. Unless you're capable of doing the majority of the work yourself you will easily wind up spending more than a new rifle. The only legitimate use I can imagine for the 30/378 Howitzer is the one per lifetime Rocky Mountain Big Horn Sheep hunt, in terrain where one is lucky to find less than a 500 yard shot. If you simply want to have bragging rights on possessing the the most powerfull, consider buying a 50 BMG Barret.

I think you may be right. I started a thread awhile ago concerning a 8X68s and it seems to build that rifle, I was better off getting a Savage. So I have been thinking since the average of my shots are about 520 yards. I think a 300 WIn Mag would be the ticket.

Thank you everyone for your time and replies.