Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Turk to Mannlicher project

Nelsdou

From a thread in the Restoration section BobVZ gave me an idea to make a sporter much like the Oberndorf Mauser Special Range rifle. Described in the "Mauser Bolt Rifles" by Olsen, it was a Model 98 in 30-06, 24 inch barrel in a mannlicher type stock, complete with black horn muzzle cap and wood hardguard. Although the barrel is a little long for a mannlicher stock for my tastes, it's a pretty handsome looking devil.

I alway thought a hardguard would be pretty useful for a hunting rifle that is carried much and seldom shot.

I've got a '38 K. Kale Turk with a poor barrel and stock that is looking for a purpose and this could be it. If I go with a Swede barrel it will be an easy fit for the receiver, hardguard, and original rear sight. I'd use a Williams or similar ramped front sight and black horn muzzle cap, pretty similar to the M.D. Waite article in the old NRA "Mauser Rifle" reprint.

Question is, does anyone know of any pictures of the Oberndorf Mauser Special Range rifle other than in the Olsen book? I'm not out to make an exact duplicate, but would want to see some more details of it.

Oops, if I'd use a better search engine I'd answer my own question sooner. I found a pretty good pic here: http://www.mauserwaffen.de/uploads/pics/9_03.jpg

Mauserwaffen has some pretty good sporter history on display there too. Certainly worth looking at.