Military Firearm Restoration Corner

'95 Mauser Stock & More

ahoyza

Hi!

I have posted before bout my 1895 Chilean. Thanks everyone for your advise. I now have an Accurate '95!

So now that it is accurate, I have moved on to pretty & comfy.

I have purchased a beautiful small ring boyds prairie hunter laminated stock.

I need to fit & finish it. I really like it.

It seems to need inletting towards the rear of the action and has extra room at the front, any advise?

Tru oil or spray? Also I want to post pics but have found taking pics of rifles a challenge to, any advise?

Thanks, Ahoyza

ps next project is vz24 scout.

Tru-Oil all the way. It will scratch but is easily repairable. It is also soaked [into] the wood grain, not just a surface treatment. Spray urethane or laquer stuff chips and flakes and is near impossible to reblend in repairs. Be sure to seal your stock inside n out to prevent future warpage due to moisture absorption.

Epoxy bed your new stock and minor fitting is a no-brainer with a 100% tight fit. I have used many types over the years. IMO the bestest easiest to use today is the Acraglass Gel by Brownells. BTW it is about 30% cheaper to get it from Mid-South shooters rather than Brownells.

Pics of shiny, round, uneven surfaces is best done at low resolution camera settings. Natural light, and no flash.

JM2c

I always use Tung oil. I put about 5 coats on, let dry thoroughly & rub down lightly with OOOO steel wool between coats. Each coat will get harder & glossier between coats. If it`s to shiny on the last coat, you can take the sheen off with the steel wool. I like it because it really shows off the grain & you can make repairs on the wood & blen it right back with the Tung oil.