Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Removing Nickel Plating

Sailormilan2

I have a Colt Commander slide that has been nickel plated and is rather sad shape. I would like to strip it and then bead blast and parkerize so my son can use it on his Commander length 1911A1 frame.

What is the easiest way to remove the nickel. I've read that soaking in Hoppee's #9 will cause the nickel to flack off, but have not tried that.

Any ideas anyone?

I can't tell you how to do it but can tell you soaking in #9 will remove a portion but not all of it. My experience is with a Model 1903 Colt 380 with after-market chrome plating. I was told it was chrome and not nickel by the gunsmith that finished where I left off. It was in the mid-70's so my weak mind is a bit foggy. I believe I let it soak for 3 or 4 days. Where the chrome was peeling, the #9 worked some what in the area but didn't seem to do anything where the chrome was firmly intact. The gunsmith I took it to sent it out of state. It came back as bare metal with no indications it was blasted off. Exactly how it was removed I don't know.

I recall chatting briefly at a gunshow with a gunsmith that specialized in Luger restorations. I recall him saying saying something about using a chemical compound on Luger restorations. If he told me the chemicals used I just don't recall. I do remember something about a 24 hour soaking to remove bluing and a longer period of time in the same chemical vat to remove plating.

I sure wish Z1R would return to this forum. I can assure you, he knows. Come on Z. If you read this come on back!!

Automotive chrome shops use a nickle plating under the chrome plate for enhanced adhesion. All they have to do is reverse the polarity of the nickle tank and it will remove material instead of applying it without disturbing base metal.

Problem may be finding a chrome plating shop in your area. Most car bumpers are now plastic.

JM2c

Fords down in Florida offers this service, but they are backed up on gun work. Deplating is not something the everyday gunsmith can do. It involves an electrolosis setup that uses some really nasty chemicals. Unless you are into it big time, you can't afford the cost of permitting and monitoring.

Clemson