Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Remington 1911

AzRednek

I finally made time to give the Remmy 1911 that I won in the Friends of NRA raffle (brag, brag!!)

I was accompanied by a shoe-string relative that had not fired a 1911 since his Camp Pendleton experience in the mid-70's. The little more than an hour of range time training he previously had was surprisingly still the one handed WW2 style of handgun shooting. Quite the opposite of the current USMC training that my next door neighbor's son has recently received using the Berettas M-9. The Corps now teaches police style handgun shooting. Double tap to center mass followed by a slower and carefully aimed head/face shot.

Anyhow back on topic. After running numerous mags in the Remmy it was almost nostalgic. Can't believe at one time I got bored with 1911's and sold or traded away several over the years. Opting instead for magnum revolvers. Guess I'm showing my age as I went through various preferences over the years. First it was single action wheel guns and eventually the pricey S&W's.

I'm now a born again 1911 lover. What I would give to have back two in particular. A Series 70 Mark IV in 38 Super and another 1970's model Colt Commander in 45 ACP. I even miss the LLama copy-cat I had in the early 80's. The LLama was perhaps one of the most reliable 1911's I had. The Colts I previously had were sensitive to reloaded ammo. The LLama digested, shot and pooped everything I fed it.

My new Remmy ran 100% with a variety of ammo including cast lead SWC's loaded with the intention of being shot in my S&W 45ACP/AR revolver. Despite the mild powder charge and 185gr lead slug they all functioned and shot. Between the two of us we shot apx 150 rds of Tula and Wolf brand, steel cased ammo without as much as a burp.

I also ran 7 rounds of Hornady Steel Match. The Hornadys ran 100% but I can not attest to the so-called superior accuracy they claim. We put the shooting get-together almost as a spontaneous decision. I was in a big hurry to pack everything up and head for the desert and left my Rx shooting glasses at home. The Remmy's 3 dot white spot sights were helpful but lining them up with my every-day progressive lens glasses was difficult.

When I got home it was like riding a bicycle tearing the Remmy down. It has been at least 20 years since I disassembled a 1911. With the exception of lining up the barrel link. I could have done it blind folded.

In summary. When I first discovered I had really won the 1911 and it was not a scam. My first thoughts were what I could get putting it on the trading block. After giving into temptation and losing some of its horse-trading value. I just had to shoot it. Glad I did, as it is no longer on the trading block as it is a keeper.