Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Decreasing Influence Of Rural America

FC

Rural America is also changing; small farms are all most completely gone.

The number of young people with the knowledge and ability let alone desire to farm is a very small number hovering just above zero.

The cost of farming as gone through the roof in the last 5 years with input costs tripling.

I know this from personal experience because I still farm the land I own and input cost plus the cost of parts and machinery have skyrocketed.

I was talking to a parts man for a large equipment dealer just the other day and he was telling me how we/companies have sent so much of our parts production out of the country that it’s starting to hurt dealers because of supply shortages.

It seems like the companies that took over US parts production are deliberately dragging their feet in manufacturing parts in an attempt to raise prices.

Plus I know a man that owns one a the largest privately owned parts companies in the USA and he tells that a lot of the over-sea suppliers are going broke and shutting down causing parts shortages and higher prices.

The truth is our food supply is very fragile and people don't even know it and sadly dont care!

I will say that there is a strong trend toward hobby farming, of which I'm a part. I am in the red at least $4000, and have a very small market for eggs. The difference is that I want to do it, and can afford it. There's not much money in hobby farming, but there are people that want to be involved in agriculture and rural life. There are a lot of magazines for this market, so it is happening with more frequency. So farmers of 160 acres, lot my grandpa, are pretty much gone, replaced by large agriculture and small operators. That's the foreseeable future.

Hobby farming...I think that that is an interest of the Hippy's as well.

She is looking for land that did not or at least for the last 20 years, I think, use any chemicals

seems that the stuff is only "organic" on that type of land.

karl

If I let them run wherever they want dogs come in the yard and kill them. This time of the year there's not much for bugs. Even in the summer there's not enough bugs for 38 chickens.

I give them whatever cracked corn is available, plus layer pellets.

Tony my neighbor out at my rural property, was having his chickens eaten by dogs and coyotes. It wiped out his entire flock except a rooster. He got a free mule off of craigslist and put it with the chickens, it's about an acre sized pen and he hasn't had anymore problems I guess a mule will attack dogs or coyotes in his domain.

Tom

I've read that if you do it right mules or Pyrennes dogs can help keep predators away. There are wild mule/horse adoptions, but we just don't have but a little grass and lots of pine and oak trees. I'd have to buy hay if I got a mule.

I caught a tom cat two nights ago and sent it away with animal control. Last night I caught that possum fat off my chickens. I hate killing stuff anymore, other than bugs, but I shot it in the head. Too many possums to just move and release it. It was a heavy possum. I found one dead hen this evening. A little blood around the head, but not eaten. There were scattered small feathers. I have no idea what happened to it.