Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Hurt Feelings

FC

I hate to even bring this up, but here's something I've observed over and over again while running this board- hurt feelings by those that hurt others.

John Maxwell says something like, "Hurting people hurt others, and are easily hurt by them". I have seen over and over on this board people that lop the heads off other posters, then, when they themselves are criticized, they become angry and hurt, and quit posting. Ask, are you one of those? :huh: You can't have a double standard of wanting to upbraid someone, then not be willing to be corrected yourself. That is dumb pride, and doesn't demonstrate a healthy individual. If the shoe fits, wear it!

I've taken some lumps here (maybe they weren't undeserved), and depending on perception maybe have dished some out. But when dishing I think its important to be honest and straight-forward, and genuinely trying to improve a situation.

Sometimes when confronted with extreme lack of reason its impossible not to try to bring it up - and sometimes it becomes amusing. Shouldn't doing the right thing be fun?

The problem is that perceptions of what is reasonable varies.

What someone may post that you find offensive may not have been intended to be so.

The power of the internet is that it brings us all together. The problem is that we all are coming from different places - even within a group of a bunch of gun nuts we have a variety of philosophies, some of which are incompatible.

I suggest that we should encourage everyone to communicate what they think is right and reasonable. To efficeintly communicate we can't be excessively concerned with the feelings of outraged minorities. To the extent that a majority operates in a right and reasonable way, its up to the minority to become tolerant.

If instead of tolerant they decide to become outraged and leave, we should welcome them back as soon as they become reasonable.

If I ever harelip anyone here,put me in my place.There's no way I'd intentionally hurt the feelings of you cats after the way all of you have put up with my crap and after all the favors you've done for me.I come here for piece and quiet,to calm down from the rigors of life,to be with dudes with the same interest as me,and to piss and moan and chewing on others feelings has no appeal to me.I understand what Tony is saying and why,'cause a couple of guys in my group of friends at work will tear into each other now and again,and it's my uncomfortable for a while tapdancing around them until they cool off.There's so many better things to get mad at than friends.Jerry

I have seen this sort of thing before.

Back in 74, I met, this is pre-Hippy, a very nice looking English prof, she looked very interesting in jeans and better in a mini . : )

Now I did not want to annoy her, as you may well guess, but she had this habit of bitching about how "unfair" the "man" was.

It seems that this guy she liked lost his job and had to move to Paris, when he "liberated" some corporate papers from the firm he worked for and had them published, "in protest".

The second or third time, I heard this lament, I said "What the heck did he expect, roses and flowers? He betrayed the trust of his employers. He may have had idealistic motives, but he was an idiot not to expect consequences.

What if I took your poems, she saw herself as a poet, and published them under my name, how would you like it?

'Well", she said " I guess that that makes me an idiot as well?" : (

Needless to say that date ended early. : )

Some folks never grow up.

Karl

I'm not going to name people who are sensitive, but can sure dish out the fire. I'll give you an example- Paul. Paul was very intelligent. He couldn't handle criticism. He could sure give the criticism though. So, if a person gets sharp tongued, be willing to get sharp-tongued responses in return without getting miffed and disappearing.

Tangledangle, I did not leave....had a few health problems, none of which I wish to share, don't take my absenteeism as a sign of hurt feelings, you were not here for the Ed Dove/Hawk wars, this little petty bickering is mere "fag slaps" compared to those days, I like to tussle, both verbally and physically, nothing I like better than a damn good flaming contest!