Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Step Barrel?

cougar69

OK, I asked this same question on another forum & got a smart ass answer. I`ll try here .On a Mauser barrel with steps in it, are the steps the same configuration on all Mausers like the 98, Turk, Spanish, etc? Also, still talking step barrel, are the dia. of the barrels the same if you have a large ring receiver small shank barrel or a large ring receiver big shank barrel? The reason I`m asking is I have a Turk 03/38 that I have semi sportized already. I cut the barrel to 22in. & recrowned it & it`s one hell of an accrate shooter now & I want to dress it up with a nice stock. Thanks in advance.

Hoping someone with knowledge will answer your question. I am not in my home state at the moment so I am currently suffering/enjoying grain alcohol where I cannot buy it. I am hoping for elucidation as to barrel steps and am ascertaining that this is one of the best places to gain this knowledge. So far I have a Mk3 no 1 enfield, a Turkish Mauser also a 1938 stamped and a you know what based on my user name. There are no Armenian rifles I know of to fill that space in my ancestry. Buzzed hard right now from grain alcohol so bear with me in my pursuit of knowledge. Thank god I don't have any more Asian in my bloodline other than the the Turkish Asian connection. I await someone else's reply and I hope they have less spelling mistakes than me.

I guess I must correct myself. There appear to be several Russian / Armenian rifles out there. I feel foolish at the moment since I also have no actual Russian rifles in my collection, although I am working on it to fill that gap. The Armenian link is something my mother barely likes to acknowledge, although we argue about it a lot. I myself don't like to. Still trying to figure out how to post a picture of my grandfather in his Kazak uniform. Yes gentleman/sirs it is an authentic picture. I am still waiting for a post of greeting from my fellow firearm enthusiasts.

Politeness is a must.......

• 1 month later...

I agree, go for it.

A 98 clone, is a clone. Not a mirror image, but close enough.

Most stocks for sale are just listed a "large ring mauser"

Some, more specifically say, "inletted for military barrell channel" That is likely the one you want.

Careful with the everclear.

-ahoyza