Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Feed Issue

spec4 e4

I usually start with radiusing the bottom corner of the extractor claw. If that doesn't work, I have made a feed ramp extension that i weld into the front of the magazine box. That will normally require a shorter follower. You can get a Remington short action follower from Brownells.

Clemson

You are creating a pinch point up front there, plus the rail needs to be opened a little before where the case rim is now to allow it to rise sooner. Also as Bill stated the extractor probably needs work as I would think the bolt should be in control of the case by that point and not allow you to pull the bolt back and just leave the case there. Raidus the edge, but more importantly relieve the back side at the edge to make a funnel to guide the rim into position. When you work the rails be carefule to not open them up too early and the rail needs to hold the case until it is in the control of the bolt and extractor. When you look rom above it sould be bellied in the middle and not triangler or curved in only at the front. Clear as mud?

Don

Both, the red will help relieve the pinch point at the front and the yellow will allow the case to rise up sooner and get under the control of the bolt. Just be carefuly only remove a couple thouands at a time and check feeding. To give you an idea of how slow I'd go, I would probably have the rifle apart and back together 100 times before I was happy. Try to remove too much at a time and you are sure to fail. Each time watch the case and how it moves on the rails and up the bolt face. After awhile you will see what needs to be done by how the cas reacts to where and how much metal you remove. When you get one rail closer switch to the other rail as they will effect each other a little.

Don