Military Firearm Restoration Corner

280 Remington Finally Finished.

rdm1962

I have been working on this 280 Remington for about 18 months. It is built on a Turk M38 action.

Before the details on the rifle a few Thanks are in order. The Bolt handle and Shroud/ wing safety are from Don Markey. Clemson welded the bolt handle on. He also fitted and chambered a Shilen medium weight barrel, cut and crowned to 22". He bead blasted the barreled action for me.

I trued the action to .001 across the face. This was done with a lot on measuring with dial calipers and hand files. I know it could have been done on a lathe in a few minuets but I wanted to do it for my self. I also remover the charging hump on the receiver. I did the D&T on the bases. The action is glass bedded front and rear. The chamber area of the barrel is glass bedded and free floated the rest of the way. I glassed the bottom metal and installed a pillar on the back action screw.

This is the second stock for this rifle. On the first one I forgot the first rule of Carpentry, "measure twice and cut once". Some how I cut the length of pull short by 3 inches. I don't know what I was thinking or doing. I will have to use this stock for a future build for my Daughter. The current stock is a close out from Richards. It was a right handed action for a left handed shooter. A little time with wood rasps and belt sander took the cheek rest off the right side. The forarm and grip cap is Rosewood. I got a 2" x 2" x 10" from a local custom cabinet store. I shaped it to be smaller than my A-bolt but slightly larger than a Model 70 Feather weight. I know that there are some imperfections, mainly in the finish of the stock.

I loaded up some 160 grain bullets I had left from a 7mm Rem mag. I got 1 1/2" at 100 yards with this break in load. I want to load 140 grainers as hunting loads.

I am already working on a 308 for my Daughter. Tanglewood welded the bolt handle on already. I will be doing the rest of the work myself. I want to have it ready for her to use for Deer season in Nov 2013. I have resolved to work on it for a few hours on Monday and Wednesday nights. I will also try to hit it a few hours on the week ends.

You input is always welcome. Ralph

post-3785-0-26199800-1365306730_thumb.jpg

post-3785-0-42896700-1365306746_thumb.jpg

post-3785-0-10323800-1365306763_thumb.jpg