Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Parker Hale Barrel

Sailormilan2

Can't tell you about barrel contours but all the Parker Hale rifles I've come across have been built on Santa Barbra actions. I honestly don't know if Parker Hale used their own or Santa Barbra's barrels but being that they were guns assembled in England with other's parts. I doubt if there is any consistency with their barrels. Could have been built or assembled by various vendors.

Can't tell you about barrel contours but all the Parker Hale rifles I've come across have been built on Santa Barbra actions. I honestly don't know if Parker Hale used their own or Santa Barbra's barrels but being that they were guns assembled in England with other's parts. I doubt if there is any consistency with their barrels. Could have been built or assembled by various vendors.

Well, I found a 25-06 heavy contour PH barrel on eBay that I am thinking of bidding on. Nobody has bid on it yet, but last time one was listed it went for close to $200. I am trying to decide if they are worth that kind of money. I can get a 26" sporter contour Shilen barrel for that kind of money.

I wouldn't pay $200 for a "pull" PH or Interarms Mark X barrel.

Go custom if you have to pay that.

I would suspect any pulled barrel. I've never known anybody removing a good shooting barrel except for a a few exceptions for a caliber change. 25/06 being an over bore caliber isn't known for long barrel life. I'd suspect a varmint hunter trying to recoup part of the costs for a barrel change after accuracy begins to fail. Buying a used barrel is a crap shoot in my opinion. Another story if you get it dirt cheap, don't mind shooting dice and have the skills and tools to do the barrel change. If you're risking 50 bux and a couple hours of your spare time. Might be worth the risk but it is a decision only you can make. .

Most barrels are pulled for a reason. I don't use used barrels unless I a find a deal I can't pass up. So a custom barrel with a rib that is worth getting rebored or something like that. Or a $25 special for a truck gun that can be thrown away if it doesn't perform.

Don

Well, my plans did not work out. I decided to pass on the PH barrel, and go with a Shilen barrel in 257 Roberts that Midway had on sale. Easy to convert that to 25-06. ChromeMoly, and 26" long. Perfect for the 25-06. And of course, as soon as the PH barrel's auction is over, I got to Midway's website and see that someone bought the last 257Roberts barrel that had been on sale. :-( Oh well, I will just hold off on finishing this thing for a while.

Gives me a chance to fix the error in my surface grinding that I did on the receiver. I made the mistake of using a previously used stone, and apparently the stoone was slightly cupped so the top of the receiver is not straight. Off by probably .002", with a slight hump in the middle. Got the new stone Friday, so I can get it done in about 30 min or so.