Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Barrel Selection

Brenden

Hello all. Its been a while since ive came around. Ive built a few guns the past two years, and have many unfinished projects to add to the list as well. I have a spare 98 action laying around that doesn't have a barrel yet and I could use some help.

I have been pondering the Ackley Improved cartridges for something diffrent as well as several standard chamberings. Needless to say, I'm lost as what chamber i need. All I know is I'm getting tired of recoil from the 30's and 7mm magnums.

Chamber choices have included 6.5-06 ackley, 6.5x55, 6mm-06, and the 7mm Mauser in AI or standard or a 280. I thought about 9.3x62 or 35 Whelen but its not pratical for me and the recoil may be a factor.

So far i have the following calibers: 243, 25-06, 30-06, 270, 8mm-06, 308, 7mm mag, 7mm STW, 338-06, 223, 7mm-08, 6.5x55 ( short barrel 96) 8mm mauser and 30-30.

Ive looked at the old standby (ER Shaw) but i would like to try Shilen. Lowthar Walther was on the list but a long chambered barrel isn't pratical for me as i don't have a lathe and I dont want to set it back with files.

Would the Shlien be short chambered enough to ream to AI if I go that route without having to set it back?

Just a lot to ponder. My biggest problem is I have so many chamberings that overlap performance wise. I love big belted magnums, but im getting to be a big wuss at the ripe old age of 25. Funny how prespective changes over time....

Brenden

The 7X57 gets my vote. It will cleanly kill any mamal that you're likely to encounter on the east coast. It also needs no improvement, the Mauser Bros new what they were doing. All this with very manageable recoil and report.

"""Would the Shlien be short chambered enough to ream to AI if I go that route without having to set it back?"""

If in doubt call em. But typically, YES. Most short chambered barrels are cut .040 to .050" short. Plenty to play with.

AZR and Ken both have good low recoil options. I love the 22-250. Shoot all day in shirt sleeves and no recoil pad. Yet reach Way TF out there for a pinpoint hit on a 400 yd yote who never heard it coming. LOL

JM2c

• 1 month later...

With a good Kick-eez pad and correct heel toe angle most of the felt recoil can be tamed down to be manageable. Your right you do have most all the bases covered and their would be some overlap. The 35 Whelen and 9.3x62 is going to be real close to the 338-06 in performance. My next rifle is going to be either 6.5-06 AI, 6.5x55, or 6.5 Grendel, and have always wanted a 25 Souper, 6mm Rem, 220 Swift, 375 Whelen, 400 Whelen. All the short chambered A & B Barrels I've used worked out fine using a Ackley chamber reamer and not having to set the shoulder back.

Lemski, there is something about those 6.5's isn't there. I really want the 6.5-06 AI but I just can't do it with having a 25-06 and .270. I hate being rational. I'm killing my gun budget with my most recent project, my cast bullet 7x57 build.

One of these days I'll get my act together.

Brenden

• 4 weeks later...

Hummm, let's see what about 358 Win, or 35 Remington? Seems you have every cal from 22-338 already covered. I built a 7.62x39 with a 308 barrel so I could take advantage of radially available .308" 30 cal bullets, and also I've been playing with the 22/30 cal sabots in it as well.

• 2 weeks later...

My thoughts keep going back to something I have discussed and tossed around with a couple of gunsmiths. My idea is a 6.5 based on the .280 Ackley Improved case. You could get a little bump in velocity over the 6.5x06 and still have a nice long neck for bullet tension. One reason I haven't done anything but think is the requirement for a oddball chamber reamer and means a custom job which would not be cheap. But still, the idea hangs on--maybe someday. james

I'm still in the 22-250 camp. I suggest a heavy varmint barrel with a bi-pod. I'm hearing residents of north Scottsdale are complaining of cats and yotes turning up in back yards with regularity because a few animal loving weirdos feeling the need to feed them. My brother's dog was attacked by a cat recently. He lives near 125th north of Shea. You could likely get some good year round hunting and really reach out with a hot 22 cal. If you have the skills to do a barrel swap maybe the Swift would be a good choice. Barrel life is short but if wind is calm a 400 yard kill is simply a matter of good marksmanship.

I can't boast of doing myself but back in the 70's as a member of a now defunct varmint hunting club. I saw some remarkable long distance shooting by some really skillful hunters and shooters. The shooters with the 22's seem to do the best although we had a member that was a National Guard sniper. He did some remarkable long distance shooting with a heavy barreled 243.

You know I was looking through my actions last night, and the 93 is going to get a .35 Remington barrel. I've talked about doing this for 5 years now, so it's time.

Just so everyone knows, 22-250 and 220 Swift are dirty words to me. I'm not a huge .22 caliber fan and both of these rounds are a waste of good case capacity. I load the 22-250 for my father in law and was shocked when I dumped excessive amounts of 4350 in there and and couldn't fill it up. It's a deer killing machine, just not for me. I like a 6mm for my small gun.

I'm still kicking it around. 280 AI is in the running. My 7mm magnum' s barrel has went south in the accuracy department so I need something to fill the void between 7mm-08 and 7mm STW. After hunting with the STW this season, I've come to the conclusion that it's an awesome round. I made a 387 yard shot with it this year and have been getting insanely tiny groups when target shooting. I can live with recoil with results like that.

That new Nosler round sounds impressive. A 6.5mm slinging a 130 grain bullet at 3400 fps is right up my alley.

Brenden

The first question should be: What kind of ammo can I get?

I know that that was not a problem even 5 years ago but now it is.

If the Ammo is not there or cost 2 or 3 bucks a round, how often will you shot the rifle?

karl

Karl has a point about ammo. With all that has happen on the past year has shown us that. I haven't bought factory ammo in 30 years. This time even reloading supplies were a sold out for a long time. If you can't find ammo or brass then all you have is a wall hanger. I have a hard time finding 280 Rem brass in MO. I can get all the 270 Win brass I want. I had to start fire-forming 270 into 280. Not a big deal but if I could't find either then My 280 would have been useless.

If you want something in 6mm 6.5mm look at what brass will be easiest to find. A 6.5-06 is a easy conversion from 30-06. I've always felt published reloading data on the 243 was well below what it is the max pressure should be. Just My $.02 Ralph

Ammo isn't much of a problem. Around five years ago, I started getting worried about shortages. Needless to say, I own dies, brass, and bullets for guns I don't even own. I made sure I picked up several thousand pieces of 06' brass as I'm a huge fan of that case and necking it up and down. The same is for .243 and .308. The only gun I do not have a good bit of brass for is the 7mm STW. I shoot that gun the most so that is a bit of a problem.

A local store had a good supply of powder even after the scare hit. I started buying a pound of powder a week on my way home. I'm set for a while. I still buy what I can when funds/availability permit. I'm a bit paranoid, I know.

Brenden

Hello all. Its been a while since ive came around. Ive built a few guns the past two years, and have many unfinished projects to add to the list as well. I have a spare 98 action laying around that doesn't have a barrel yet and I could use some help.

I have been pondering the Ackley Improved cartridges for something diffrent as well as several standard chamberings. Needless to say, I'm lost as what chamber i need. All I know is I'm getting tired of recoil from the 30's and 7mm magnums.

Chamber choices have included 6.5-06 ackley, 6.5x55, 6mm-06, and the 7mm Mauser in AI or standard or a 280. I thought about 9.3x62 or 35 Whelen but its not pratical for me and the recoil may be a factor.

So far i have the following calibers: 243, 25-06, 30-06, 270, 8mm-06, 308, 7mm mag, 7mm STW, 338-06, 223, 7mm-08, 6.5x55 ( short barrel 96) 8mm mauser and 30-30.

Ive looked at the old standby (ER Shaw) but i would like to try Shilen. Lowthar Walther was on the list but a long chambered barrel isn't pratical for me as i don't have a lathe and I dont want to set it back with files.

Would the Shlien be short chambered enough to ream to AI if I go that route without having to set it back?

Just a lot to ponder. My biggest problem is I have so many chamberings that overlap performance wise. I love big belted magnums, but im getting to be a big wuss at the ripe old age of 25. Funny how prespective changes over time....

Brenden

Lemski, there is something about those 6.5's isn't there. I really want the 6.5-06 AI but I just can't do it with having a 25-06 and .270. I hate being rational. I'm killing my gun budget with my most recent project, my cast bullet 7x57 build.

Brenden

Brenden

Brenden,

My "go to" is the 6,5x55 Ackley Improved. They are ultra-accurate, low recoil and even with 130 accubonds will bore a hole through both shoulders of a whitetail buck at 400 yds. As for yotes, pretty hard on them too!

Dave

post-7415-0-06309200-1387769880_thumb.jpg

Is that one of those Jackayotes Dave?

Pretty good picture!

What kind of velocities do you get from the AI? I've thought that a 6.5 AI would make a good rig, figured it would be basically the same as a 6.5-06 though. When this project first started,I wanted 264 win mag performance without the belt. The more I think about all this, I have about the best rifle I could ask for. The 7mm STW, it's pure magic at 400 yards!

Brenden

I am shooting fmoderately low pressure 1/2 MOA loads in a couple of highly custom Husqvarna 96s. They both have re-contoured to sporter barrels.

One was a new 23 1/2" m38 replacement (2960 fps)and the other was a retired 25" Krieger F class barrel (3040 fps)

52gr. 4831SC has been the best powder in both with the lighter 130 accubond bullets. I use this weight as the biggest critter to kill here is whitetail and they are overkill for them.

The 'yote was dumb enough to follow my son in law who was bloodied from hunting the day before to his deer stand. When the sun came up he "rugged" him with the 6.5 AI.

Dave

post-7415-0-00473200-1387841579_thumb.jpg